Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replace windshield and general Maintenance 416B Cat Backhoe

Cjalbert ยท 2022-10-18 13:05

Hello All, Thank you in advance to all that may take there time to respond. I have recently inherited...well sort of -my grandfathers tractor. A 1996 416B Cat- engine S/N -5HK41435 -Trans -E965875 -PIN 82KO9435. I want/need to replace the windshield (Should I order a new gasket? Any tips?) as well as do some general maintenance. I was told that one of my uncles had the owners manual --I am hoping it was a service manual. But in leiu of that I was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction for quantities of fluids. I.E.- Hydrolic fluid and oils and such - I have searched and find some however it all seems specific to the serial #'s. Looks like a few hoses need tending too also but I will look through the forums further and see what I can find. Thanks CJ

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632022-10-18 16:42

    I'm going to suggest you hire the windshield out. You really need the proper tooling and a local glass company can cut your glass for you. There should be a lube chart decal on your machine....but on some equipment it will be listed in the operators manual

  2. #2Nige2022-10-19 05:19

    Here's the viscosity/refill capacity chart. Remember these values are approximate , always fill to the dipstick, sight glass, or level plug as appropriate The reference indicated on the top of Page 1 is the Cat Publication Number for the O&M Manual for your machine, just in case your uncle can't find it and you need to get a replacement. For example, why buy this one used and tatty from eBay when you can get a brand-new one for less.? https://www.ebay.com/itm/275420715890 Just so you know, and O&M Manual costs around $50. A complete service manual new is around $650 in paper or just under $500 on a CD. BTW your machine Serial Number is 8ZK09435 , not 82K

  3. #3Nige2022-10-19 05:33

    Most definitely. It's only a piece of flat glass and glass companies are tooled up for it. Probably cheaper than buying under an OEM Part Number.

  4. #4Cjalbert2022-10-19 13:51

    Vetech63, Nige, thank you very much for your input! Have a great day!

  5. #5franklin22022-10-22 09:07

    If it's laminate glass with the plastic in the middle, they can usually cut it locally. If it's the more modern "ice cube" or tempered glass, they can still get it for you but they have to order it pre-cut. You would have to give them a pattern for it. I doubt any of the glass in the tractor is regular glass. If it doesn't have a windshield wiper, you could get a sheet of lexan and cut it yourself. But hold on to your hat, that stuff is not cheap.

  6. #6Cjalbert2022-10-26 11:27

    Too bad it does have wipers...but they help sometimes too-I am not sure what type of glass it was...I was thinking maybe order the glass (if I can get an part #) and have a glass guy put it in...?

  7. #7Nige2022-10-26 11:51

    The Part Number is 9R-5515. Make sure you're sitting down when you ask the dealer for the price. It's a simple piece of flat laminated glass that a local glass company should be able to supply & install for you without breaking a sweat for less than you would buy the OEM P/N from a dealer. Personally I wouldn't recommend Lexan unless you plan on working in areas where there might be a danger of flying objects and you want to keep them out of the cab.

  8. #8Nige2022-11-07 04:34

    See this thread - the machine owner had ALL new cab glass made & installed, not just the windshield. HeavyEquipmentForums