Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replaced Transfer pump now it won’t start

AllDodge ยท 2013-01-04 18:06

Bought my first full size backhoe. My new to me CAT 416C was running fine. Outside a little things only thing I found which needed fixing was a silght leak on the transfer pump. Ordered a new one from CAT and it came in today and has a different part number 201-0877. CAT said this replaced the older style. Put the new pump on, pump the transfer pump a bunch of times. Turned the key and she fired right up, 20-30 seconds later it died. So I pump some more, a lot more, and it will not hit a lick. Pulled the top fuel filter and there is no fuel. Took the lines off the transfer pump and I have vacuum on one side and pressure on the other. Put the suction side back on and used hand pump some more without the pressure side on, and no fuel ever came through. The old pump had more suction then the new one.

Replies8
  1. #1Bob/Ont2013-01-04 19:31

    Take the suction line off again and check the rubber seal. They can be damaged and clogg the suction line. Then when you get it pumping remove the plug facing forward on the top of the fuel filter, have someone pump untill you see fuel coming out then put plug back in. Later Bob

  2. #2AllDodge2013-01-04 19:57

    You said check the rubber seal, the original seal was wrinkled up on the old pump and I didn't look at the new one. When the suction lime is removed the line looks clean but I would need to remove the pump to look inside it, which I can if needed. I guess I'm asking what is the rubber seal your refering to. Thanks

  3. #3Bob/Ont2013-01-05 02:30

    Is there a rubber donut on the fuel line going into the pump? If the fuel line is forced into the threaded hole in the pump it can go off to one side and damage the rubber, cutting it and the Rubber clog the fuel passage. Make sure this is not your problem. Later Bob

  4. #4AllDodge2013-01-05 08:38

    The fuel lines have an end on them which I'm use to seeing an o-ring on the end, but these didn't. Inside the pump holes appear to be rubber seals. I'll pull the lines back off and recheck. Maybe blow the line back to the tank with low pressure, then put low pressure on the tank to see if it will push the fuel up through the line before I reconnect. In the maintenance manual it says to move the key switch to ON position. Don't know where the fuel cut off valve is but guessing it needs to be on to allow fuel to pass.

  5. #5AllDodge2013-01-05 10:13

    Pulled the pump again and found there are no rubber seals on the lines or in the pump inlets. The old pump had one in each inlet, managed to remove them and one is in good shape the other is not. They are thicker than a standard o-ring and the CAT web site does not show them on lines or pumps. Only one found are two shown on the fuel tank ports. Guess I'll go to the auto store and see what they have and if nothing else call CAT Monday.

  6. #6Per Eriksson2013-01-05 13:22

    They are called "ferrule" and are shaped more like a cut off piece of tube rather than a round oring. part # is 032-8193 Put them on the line first and then insert line into fitting.

  7. #7AllDodge2013-01-05 14:24

    Thanks a bunch, lady at CAT was able to find using the part number. Even she gets puzzled many times trying to find where and how CAT puts things together. At least this time they don't cost much $1.04 a piece. Only bad thing is I have to drive 50 miles to get it.

  8. #855cans2013-03-16 22:47

    Yes, experienced this problem too. The cat information system parts and drawing does not make them obvious. They use the same type of rubber bushings on the metal fuel lines entering the fuel filter holders too.