I never knew it was common to replace seat cushions in pick ups. I have a 2015 F150 and the door side of the seat has lost all firmness. I think because I need to have a process for getting out instead of just hopping out contributed to the foam going soft. A new Ford cushion is about $165 or a Durafoam cushion from The Seat Shop is $313. The Durafoam is firmer and supposed to last a lot longer. Wondering if anybody has replaced their seat cushion with a Durafoam and if it was worth the extra cost or is too firm, etc.? I'd like to sit straight again and it's better for my crazy glued back.
Never fixed a seat but I hear what you are saying about ford seats doing that
My old 1988 f250 bench seat was garbage, I went to a junk yard and found a nice one for like 50 bucks. It made a big difference. My 2022 f150 seat seems a bit flat like you guys are saying but that's coming from an extremely well bolstered Civic SI. I wouldn't mind a bit more/firmer foam, but I don't think at 300 bucks I want it that bad. Do you replace the whole seat assembly? Like the back stays but the seat comes out and gets replaced?
I've done a bunch of GM seats. Used to use OEM, 'til the price tripled one day, from $99. Then I switched to the durafoam. I saw zero difference in either, when they were new.
2014 Silverado, just swapped l/s cushion for r/s, I don't sit on that side.
You just take the cover off, replace the seat cushion and then put the cover back on. There's video's on it. My mechanic friend will do it for me. He said it's really common on fleet vehicles. I'll probably just go OEM. Some people say the Durafoam is too firm but the cost in Canada is pretty pricey.
Constant swapping air seats in class eights when drivers side gets pumped full of Taco Bell Chalupa gas. YMMV.
I did the Durafoam in my 2014 f150 at 100k miles.. It was a huge improvement. So much more comfortable to ride in the truck now.
Interesting. I didn’t know about the aftermarket foam. I’ve purchased plenty of OEM Ford foam and covers for fleet stuff. The F150 S/S bottom cushion wears out fast.
How much firmer is the Durafoam compared to new OEM and is it holding up better? If I was in the US I'd get the Durafoam but not sure if it's worth $150 more than the OEM cushion in Canada?
eBay has no names for super cheap
I had good luck on amazon for a new cushion for a 09 ram years ago it was like $60 and better then oem.
I'm not sure about aftermarket. I read some reviews that said they weren't as good as OEM and break down sooner. Durafoam generally had good reviews but a few said it was too firm. The price is kind of crazy though. I was hoping cst would respond regarding Durafoam.
WD, I would say the Durofoam is just a bit more firm… but in your situation I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra money to get it in Canada over oem. Part of the problem with mine was that wire grid the foam sits on was cutting into it. So whatever one you choose make sure to stick some heavier fabric between the foam and the wire grid.
Find and go to your local hobby store, they have a selection of foam, and what @csthompson12 says above, the wire will cut into the foam. Find a thin sheet of pliable plastic while you are at the store.
Thanks for that. Almost double the cost is hard to justify. I'll talk to my friend about some heavier fabric under the cushion. That could be part of the problem. The door side is soft but I also sink into the back of the cushion a lot more. My friend works at a Ford dealer so has done several seat cushions. Must just be part of what mechanics do. He's primarily a diesel specialist because other mechanics didn't want to work on diesels but he works on everything. He was promoted to foreman at a dealer he worked at for about 20 years but quit and went to another dealer. The owners kids were taking over the dealership and he just saw it as the beginning of a train wreck. He also didn't like the long drive to work.