Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing a cutting edge

Effinay ยท 2012-04-04 20:44

I might be asking a dumb question, but here goes: The cutting edge for my loader bucket has worn to the point of needing replacement. I actually bought it this way knowing I'd have to change it at some point. What's on the bucket now looks like something Mickey and Goofy might have come up with and then welded the daylights out of it top and bottom. Looking around at my "inventory", (my wife refers to it as something else!!) I've come across an old Fisher plow that appears to have a sufficient enough length and straightness of cutting edge that might just fit the bill. Would this type of steel be suitable for this application? Can I grind the welds from the one that's worn out and bolt my salvaged plow edge to the bottom of the bucket with Grade 8 carriage bolts? Most of the work this machine does is light duty grading of my gravel driveway, the occasional pile of loam that needs to be relocated and snow removal. Thanks in advance for any info and help with this.....

Replies7
  1. #1770G2012-04-04 21:22

    I have a none carbide wing blade on my tractor (63 Massey gas) right now. And it's 8 years old, with loads of wear left in it. I used the proper wing blade bolts so the under side of cutting edge is perfectly flat. I do the same types of stuff..... Snow, dirt, etc... Doesn't get used everyday

  2. #2TozziWelding2012-04-15 13:31

    Fisher cutting edges are usually only surface hardened, good enough for pushing snow. For diggin' in the dirt you should use a piece of AR material.

  3. #3Effinay2012-04-20 08:43

    Sorry for the delay getting back to you, and thanks for the info. Don't want to sound like a cheap b*****d, but I'm trying to save a little money by using what I have laying around. I figured that I'd bolt it in place with grade 8's and not weld it so it would be easier to remove/replace in the future. Depending on use of course, are you saying it will wear faster, or is it likely to fail/fracture? Obviously metallargy is not a strong point of mine. Thanks again for your time and help.

  4. #4ttweld052012-05-03 20:58

    Hey tozzi, isnt AR only surface treated also...and hardox hardened all the way through...

  5. #5TozziWelding2012-05-05 19:55

    AR400 is just that abrasion resistant, through and through and you pay for it.

  6. #6smittysrepair2012-05-10 19:17

    The way I see it if you want it done right then replace it with a good piece of AR400. But if it is yours and you already have an old edge that you can use then deffinetly go for it. Worst case senario you are out some bolts and time. Or you may really like it and be amazed at how well it works. On my stuff, friends, or family stuff seeing it is usually freebie work I tend to use what I have laying around, but for paying customers it will be done right or not at all. And in reguards to your original question. Grinding it off will work but you are going to spend a LOT of time and grinding rocks. I usually air arc off stuff like that or wash the welds off with a good torch. If you dont have the tools or knowledge to do it, then if possible find a friend that can do it for you. It will be well worth the beer a friend would charge. Either way keep us posted about what you do decide to do and remember that we all like to see photos of stuff like that.

  7. #7770G2012-05-20 09:04

    Ain't that the truth!!! A good friend will damn near do anything for a few beers