Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing Fuel Filters

miklav ยท 2016-11-22 20:07

Any special tricks when replacing fuel filters on a diesel Cummings four cylinders, CASE 480E? The service manual lists a procedure by losing air removal screw, followed with pumping the hand primer pump than, etc. . . . I heard filling the new fuel filters with diesel fuel prior to screwing them on will help with purging the air in the system. Any other tricks and tips? Respectfully, Mike from Medina, Ohio

Replies8
  1. #1LanmarFM2016-11-22 20:47

    Filling the filter before install would help but you will still need to get the air out by loosening the screw and hand priming the system.

  2. #2Delmer2016-11-22 21:00

    If you fill, fill from the outside. if you fill the inside it doesn't get filtered and you just added the gunk from your can straight to the injection pump. I always like to change a fuel filter with the engine warm, figuring the engine will start right back up and run smooth and easy, and keep running through any stumbles if you miss a few bubbles.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2016-11-23 04:52

    Fill the filters, hold the throttle part way, start the engine, wait till stumbles go away. If it stalls, refill the filters and do it by the book.

  4. #4Cmark2016-11-23 05:16

    IMO, all this BS about prefilling fuel filters is bad advice. As has been noted earlier, non-filtered fuel will get into the clean side of the system. With older style fuel systems you could get away with it, but modern (eg. common rail) systems can be ruined. All diesel systems are capable of being primed with some sort of built in pump. If it doesn't work, fix it. If we keep perpetuating the myth of prefilling fuel filters, it is just going to lead to a lot of expense for a lot of unhappy machine owners in the future.

  5. #5Nige2016-11-23 05:21

    Hear, hear. Especially with the newer generation of engines that required fuel filtered even cleaner than it ever used to be. TBH if I ever caught one of my guys prefilling fuel filters I'd cut the fcuker's hands off so he could never do it again ...........

  6. #6thepumpguysc2016-11-23 05:44

    The 480 is made to run + or - a bucket of mud in the fuel system.. gees lighten-up.. I don't know what drainage ditch you 2 are getting YOUR FUEL FROM but mine is filtered and so isn't everyone elses in the states.. If "I" see a mechanic workin a hand primer after he changed a filter, the 1st thing I ask him is, did you fill it up 1st?? If he says no.. I tell him to take it back off.. fill it up, turn the key and floor it.. hurry up, we go sh*t to do.. as far as common rail goes, theres no need, they have electric pumps.. Theres no doubt the newer systems are very unforgiving.. but to tell someone NOT to fill a filter on a 1975 machine is ridiculous.. and that's all I have to say about that.. signed THE PUMP GUY.

  7. #7Tones2016-11-23 05:57

    TPG not all commonrail fuel systems have electric fuel pumps, John Deere for one. I'm firmly in the corner of priming through the filters and have been doing so since the mid 60's for all the reasons listed above on engines including GM,Cummins,Cat Perkins, Lister etc etc. I would have been sacked had I done it any other way

  8. #8fast_st2016-11-23 06:02

    I have a hard time pre filling the filters on my truck the fuel just falls right through the cartridge.