The small hose in the middle of the first picture has a small drip...I'm thinking it may be the fitting. It is about 2-3 foot long and goes over to a junction in the center of the second photo. My question is...if I take it lose is fluid going to rush out. Any tips on doing this without wasting fluid?
That looks like the case drain line for the drive motor, #4 JIC size. If you get two JIC plugs and JIC caps, you can remove hose from fitting and plug/cap them. You'll lose a little bit of oil, but not a significant amount. What model Bobcat is that, I don't recognise that drive motor?
It's a 2000 863G turbo, my first skid so I'm learnin' as I go. Thanks
You're welcome.
#6 JIC. You're slippin, ATCO.
Well, maybe, but hey, it was a guess lookin at a pic.
you may change out the case drain filters which are in the silver cylinders where that hose connects to if they have never been changed. look for metal shavings in there as a sign of trouble in the system
Good call on the plugs. they can be spendy but well worth the price
Got the caps and plugs and changed the hose...only lost about 2 tablespoons of fluid. Yep, #6 when he showed me #4's I knew something was wrong. Thanks guys!!
Good to hear ya got it sorted out Wanabe. Hang on to those plugs/caps...you're going to need them again, somewhere on that machine.
Them caps and plugs metal and plastic are very handy.I have seen parts removed and left open for days.Even years because I'm working on one now.Atco got my Fiat Allis running found a surprise.Radiator leaking.
You ain't gonna believe this double stick...but I've had that happen as well. Bah ha hahaha I've been wrenching for years, and everytime I've got a hose assembly or new hyd component that has a plastic plug in it...I saved those plugs. Now I have three coffee cans full of various plugs/caps. If I don't have the appropriate steel plug/cap needed for a task, I can usually find something in one of those coffee cans to do the job.
My wife asked me a while back why I save those caps. Like Atco I have a can or 2 that have an assortment some of which have been there for years. When you need one they sure are handy to have.
Hey bobcatmechanic, got the case drain filter changed, there were a few flakes in there, does this mean I'll be having probelms down the road? Everything seems to be working fine, sounds good. I'm taking it in to the Bobcat dealer in a couple of weeks to have the timing belt replaced, going to let the mechanic look it over before heading to the woods. Thanks for all of your advice.
A few tiny flakes are pretty normal.It is pieces and chunks that are bad.You can run oil sample and pressure checks to make sure.