Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing Seals in Dipper Ram on a 2002 JCB 214

Wayne111 ยท 2015-05-21 07:00

I have a hydraulic leak in the Dipper Ram and need to replace the seals. I haven't changed one before and would like some advice. I've already know the basics. Remove the hydraulic hoses, remove the pins to remove the ram etc. My question is regarding loosening / tightening the end cap on the piston. My understanding is this is tightened to 400-500 ft lbs. I don't have a vise or bench strong enough to hold the ram for that king of torque. I plan to use a large pipe wrench and piece of 2" pipe to do the job. Would it work, if I loosened / tightened the cap while the ram is still on the backhoe after removing the hoses and before removing the pins? It would be accessible, but I don't want to damage the ram or pins.

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2015-05-21 07:25

    That's a pretty standard way of doing it without a bench. Wrap the rod with thick rags, or aluminum sheet, to keep from dinging the rod if the pipe wrench slips. You might want to cobble up a wrench that will hold the cap better than a pipe wrench. Make sure you've got any set screws out BEFORE you honk on it. If it doesn't come loose with 800 ftlbs (200# at 4') then try the peening technique.

  2. #2Wayne1112015-05-21 10:28

    Thanks for the tips Delmer.

  3. #3mrh19662015-05-21 11:24

    Did this on our JCB 214 on a remote island in the Bahamas. Pipe wrench and a long bit of tube. I marked the start point on the nut so when putting back on and tightening you have a reference point. I have done the bucket ram, all the rams on front bucket and stabilizer rams this way.

  4. #4Delmer2015-05-21 11:43

    here's the peening thread, WITH PICTURES in post #7

  5. #5jcb jeff2015-05-21 14:15

    Not sure on the year of the 214 but 3cx in the uk have under the seals on the piston a little dowel with a thread in make sure you pull the seals off first to check as once snapped off in the piston / rod it is very difficult to get the broken part out and sometimes ive seen new rod and piston/dowel supplied when someone was unaware of this just need a little screw to remove dowel first.

  6. #6LT-x72015-05-22 00:45

    :iagree This is very good advice! I learned the hard way on a jcb ram.......