Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 446d 4wd front axle oil

Bretrucking ยท 2015-05-20 22:19

I have a cat 446d 4wd and would like to know what type of fluid to use in the front axle. I was told that is was 80-90 by one cat dealer and that it was tdto-30 by another parts supplier. I would also like to know what fluid to use in the planetarys tdto-30 or tdto-tms (multi cat)

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2015-05-21 04:33

    The front axle of the 446D takes an API GL-5 specification gear oil. 80W90 would cover you from ambient temperatures from -4 to 104. If you wanted to go lower than -4 then a 75W90 would be recommended. The transmission takes Cat TDTO (TO-4) An SAE30 would only cover for ambient temperatures down to freezing. Below that it would be a 10W.

  2. #2Bretrucking2015-05-21 06:39

    Would the front and read "hubs" planetary drives also take 80-90?

  3. #3Nige2015-05-21 07:33

    They would take the same oil as you are using in the front axle, depending on ambient temperature it would be either an 80W90 or a 75W90.

  4. #4Bretrucking2015-05-21 13:55

    Ok, thank you very much for the quick response.