Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

replacing the rod and seals in a hydraulic cylinder

fourwheelinj1 ยท 2016-08-12 16:35

I recently purchased a used bobcat 442 excavator which is actually made by Terex. The PO scratched up the hydraulic thumb cylinder rod pretty bad and now the cylinder has a healthy leak. The cylinder is not that big roughly 3"x36" so I was planning on just replacing it. Bobcat quoted me $6300 for the cylinder which is absolutely ridiculous. Just a seal kit was $450. I guess that is the joy of buying a rebranded machine. So now I am looking into getting the cylinder repaired at either the local hydraulic shop or possibly the local CAT dealer. My question is can they get parts to rebuild the cylinder other than the OEM parts from the dealer? Meaning are seal kits specific to just that size of cylinder or specific to that exact brand and model cylinder? I mean if i have to pay 450 for a seal kit and repair or replace the rod I might be better off trying to find a similar size standard cylinder and modify it to fit. Thoughts?

Replies9
  1. #1Moonlite2016-08-12 19:26

    A good hydraulic shop can build a new rod and get seals. I have no idea about a price though.

  2. #2Ronsii2016-08-12 19:52

    The last few thumb sized cylinders I took in were usually around 500-600 for various fixings... bent rod blown end, etc....

  3. #3Welder Dave2016-08-12 21:37

    They can make a new rod and likely match the seals too for a lot less than $6300. I'd guess a new rod and seals about 12-$1500.

  4. #4Delmer2016-08-12 22:09

    I was thinking less than the $500 figure. The last two I had done were less than that total, but when was that now... That's the machine shop taking the old rod and making a new one, me taking apart and putting back together.

  5. #5Welder Dave2016-08-13 00:34

    I had the stick cylinder on my backhoe pull the bolt out of the rod. They had to straighten a very slight bend in the rod but quoted around the $1500 mark to rebuild the cylinder, straighten and polish it and weld the eye on a new cylinder rod. I suggested drilling the piston bigger and re-tapping the rod for the next size bigger bolt and it saved about $200 over building a new rod. I think it was 3 1/2" bore cylinder but can't remember. This price was for taking the cylinder in and having them do it all of it. Just to build a new rod could be around $500. It's might also be possible to machine the rod down and re hard chrome it back to size.

  6. #6clintm2016-08-14 16:43

    hercules makes seals for just about any cyld. any hyd shop should be able to match up seals. their are a couple in charlotte if you are near.

  7. #7uffex2016-08-15 04:59

    Cylinder repair Good day four wheeling Found some information on the subject from the manufacturer while we would not endorse the methods it may be of interest, more information can be found at this link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3CHoxRUD5qAcmpkWW1qSG1qRWM/view?usp=sharing Kind regards Uffex View attachment BobCat info.pdf

  8. #8Carlos672016-11-16 17:01

    Disassembly of a 36ft 3 stages loadmaster telescopic cylinder I am having trouble separating this part, please see picture How can I detach the left part of the thread in the photo, there is nothing to grab a tool on to it. Thanks in advance. Best, Carlos

  9. #9Delmer2016-11-16 22:23

    What happens if you pull the rod out? Or use a hand hydraulic pump, or airless paint sprayer with oil to push it out, NOT air pressure.