Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Repowering a 1835

Old Doug ยท 2015-12-20 10:13

I bought a 1835 case with out its engine and planning on useing a ford 4cyl car engine. Is there alot of drag on the starter in cold weather? I was thinking about keeping the clutch to use on cold starts.

Replies23
  1. #174inchShovel2015-12-20 19:30

    I think there would be more drag because it's turning at least 3 hydraulic pumps, but given enough CCA's and a good starter it should work, but I think more importantly if you use ford clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing I think you would be committed to at least using trans main shaft and some extreme engineering and fabrication headaches. Was this a gas or diesel machine? If it was a diesel, most likely it was a 188 or a 207 very tough simple motors with great reliability. Before I got too far into this I would try and source OEM motor-just my 2cents

  2. #2mikebramel2015-12-21 01:34

    I think they are gas with a european engine that parts are too expensive and too few to get

  3. #3Walker12015-12-21 09:59

    Skip the clutch, just another handful of things to go wrong.

  4. #4kshansen2015-12-21 10:13

    The one problem I can think of with using an automotive engine is the lack of a governor. Normal operation of a skid-steer is with engine running at set governed speed of say 2100 rpm. I guess you could set up with a foot control for the throttle but with the bouncing around of the loader think it would be hard to control.

  5. #5kshansen2015-12-21 10:15

    Mike I think that's right seem to recall them being Renault gas engines.

  6. #6Old Doug2015-12-21 11:08

    The engine i am thing about has a trans axle that i have cut the bellhouseing off of to use. The main shaft is a problem to hook up to it is a hardend shaft so its a problem. It had a gas engine but i dont have it. I have also thought about useing a flywheel and starter from something like a 350 chevy then i could build a output shaft that could easyly hook to my pump drive. I dont know any thing about this case or i would pour alot of money into a better engine or a OEM engine.

  7. #7melben2015-12-24 15:58

    The 1835 came with the 148 gas or the 188 diesel manufactures by Case, both outstanding engines, I would advise you to do a good rebuild on either one rather than try to piece something together, If it does'nt have broken block it should be able to be made good as new. The 1830 had the Continental/ Renault which is a bit of a problem to rebuild.

  8. #8kshansen2015-12-24 16:10

    Just an example of what melben is talking about. I know nothing about this one just did a Google search and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-188D-DIESEL-ENGINE-MOTOR-188-D-1845-IN-SKID-STEER-RUNNING-1835-580-BACKHOE-/141856292001 If the loader OP has had the diesel this would probably be an easy drop-in an easy week-end project.

  9. #9Old Doug2015-12-24 20:05

    I dont have the engine that came out of it its long gone and every one i have talked to said they were junk.I would like to stay under $ 2000.00. If I new every thing else was good i would spend up to $3000.00 and have it runing but i bought it as is and dont know any thing about it. I have a pinto engine i was saveing for somethig else i may use i also have 2 forklifts with contintal engines but i dont know if they would work out in a skidsteer.I have repowered IH loaders, put a chevy in a ford and a chevy in a Jeep. The ford i was going to use has a small starter and i didnt want it to be a problem in cold weather. I have a belt driven govener from a combine.

  10. #10melben2015-12-25 10:59

    To bad you didn't talk to someone who actually knows something about Case engines, the 148s 159s 188s were used in millions of ag tractors, backhoe loaders, swathers and many other pieces to numerous to list starting in the mid 40s in the VAC ag tractors and continuing into the 80s when Case / Cummins joined forces. Actually having so much personal experience in the 50 years I worked in service with Case I can attest that they were one of the BEST engine lines ever built, attested to by the fact that they were used for so many years with only minor updates as the years passed. It is your machine obviously so you are free to bastardize it if you wish and I wish you good luck in whatever you choose to do. If you were telling me about the Renault I would be in total agreement but not so with the Case engine and probably I would be looking for a Kubota to put in that as I guess it has been done by others. Anyway, Merry Christmas from our house to yours and best New Years wishes to you and any and all forumers reading.

  11. #11Delmer2015-12-25 13:02

    I won't argue with not wanting to spend the money for a used diesel on an unknown skidsteer loader. If you can't find a Case diesel within reason, then a Case gas should be much easier to find in good running cheap condition. The fleabay price of $2,500 seems about right for where it is. If you're in the right place at the right time I'd think you could get a Case diesel for $1,000, or gas for $500. There's no way I'd mess with a Pinto engine for that kind of money. If you want to swap an engine, do a cummins into a suburban or some such nonsense, don't do something you can find easily enough.

  12. #12Old Doug2015-12-25 14:03

    I dont have any first hand experiense with the case engine but i called several place that have case skid steers to part out and was told the engines were very hard to find. The 1835 are a smaller old machine and dosent have the quick attach bucket. They dont bring alot of money $4000.00 for a real good one. My case isnt a real good one. I want to get it runing as cheap as i can and use it or sell it. I gave $1000.00 for it. I dont think i can get my money back if i wanted to but if i can use it it will be worth it. I have been told that the next size up is alot better and parts are easyer to find. Im not looking for a prodject i want a cheap skid steer. Bastardize is a strong word for a machine that was headed to the junk yard. I have read alot of Hot Rod magizens were a guy wanted a 195? car and had the money to by one in great shape tear it all apart and replace every thing but the sheet metal with the latest computerised engine and drive trane there is. I hate seeing this but makeing a old machine useful agine by swaping engines is something else.

  13. #13Delmer2015-12-25 14:56

    I was just going by what Melben said about the engines. If you really can't find a gas or diesel Case, then the Ford seems reasonable. You might be missing some skidsteer specific parts like motor mounts, brackets or whatever that would make a Case engine as much work to fit as something else. What do you have to hook up to the engine power wise? is it belt driven, one driveshaft, or both ends of the crankshaft? Any chance you could rig a 5hp briggs or a tractor PTO shaft to run it so you could see that everything works before you go to the trouble of fitting the real engine?

  14. #14Old Doug2015-12-25 15:45

    I am missing alot of parts. What ever need to be removed to remove the engine is gone from the seat to the back door. It has a splined male shaft i have a female coupler that gos on it. I was planing to use a newer ford engine that is fuel injected and build a intake manifold for a carb and rework the distributer to use points. But if i use the pinto it would be less work it has a carb and a easy to wire distributer. I also have a V4 wisconsen that i havent hear run that looks to wide. I got this case a year ago in the fall thinking i could get it runing that winter. I may drag the V4 in the shop and look it over.

  15. #15kshansen2015-12-25 17:58

    What about a radiator? Did they at least leave you that much? Sounds like you are set on making this work with stuff you have laying around. I would do some measurements to see if there is room between the pump splined input **** and the radiator, assuming you have one. If that looks like you have enough room I'd look to see if you can mount up the combine belt driven and linkage to the carb.

  16. #16Old Doug2015-12-26 15:47

    I dont have the radiator. I did some measureing yesterday and one will fit with the radiator inside and the other it would be into the door. I have a V4 wisconson and it is about a 1 inch to wide back were i think it has a fuel tank on each side. It wouldnt be that bad a job to do away with or make the tanks smaller. I dont like the V4 but it would be easyer to get going. I all so measured the pumps input height and its ok for all my engines.

  17. #17gwhammy2015-12-27 20:06

    The older bobcats came with fords 1600 cc four cylinder pinto motors. My brother did replace one of the old v4 wisconsin's with a 2000 cc pinto motors before bobcat had them. We also put a 2.8 v6 chevy in a new holland once. It can be done given enough time. For the governor you can probably still get belt driven governors which is what we used. If time is not a problem it can be done fairly cheaply. How does the motor on a case hook to the engine?

  18. #18lantraxco2015-12-27 23:38

    Whatever engine you use needs a constant speed governor, something to limit RPM so you don't destroy the pumps with overspeed and will also open the throttle up wide when under full load. I was tasked with making a toyota gas car engine work in a Bobcat years ago, as that's how it arrived to our yard. It never would work right and destroyed a couple sets of spendy pumps before the powers that be gave in and scrapped it. The torque peak on a car engine is usually way above the upper limit for pumps so you don't get what you need out of them. I did successfully replace a worn out Deutz with a little Y112 continental gas which worked sweet in a small Bobcat.

  19. #19Old Doug2015-12-30 19:36

    The case has a male splined shaft that a female coupler gos on then there is a double roller chain coupler that hooks to a shaft bolted to the engine crank shaft. As soon as i get my tractor out of the shop i am going to build a stand that the engine can set on down in the case also it will let me start it on the ground and make the engine a self contained power plant that way if it dosent work out in the case i can use it someplace else. I have one maybe two belt driven governers from combines i have scraped.

  20. #20gwhammy2015-12-31 20:14

    We had some trouble on the 2.8 with the carb not liking all the bouncing around. I think we ended up making an adapter out of pipe and putting a updraft carb on it. That was over 30 years ago so don't remember exactly. We did use a belt driven gov. like you are talking about.

  21. #21Old Doug2016-01-02 17:57

    I was planing on useing a up draft because i had trouble with fauling plugs on a tractor with a 250 chevy. I was told downdraft carbs dribbleing gas at ideal.

  22. #22Old Doug2018-03-25 12:54

    I am back to work on my case. I built a intake manifold and a adapier to use a points typ ignision. I built a frame for the engine and last night i started it on a table. I need a double roller chain coupler to hook the engine to the drive. I want to get it runing and see if it will move before i go much deeper. If i had to do over i would have got something runing or altogether.

  23. #23d9gdon2018-03-25 21:41

    Absolutely Doug, I've been in the same trap before. Why didn't I just buy one that ran? Oh well, it feels good when you get it going and you know what you've got.