So here I go with my first thread. Hope it's a good one. I have a 1960 Dynahoe Model A with a very tired (pretty much dead) Continental F245 flathead engine. I plan to repower with a 4BT Cummins engine. Can't remember the CPL right now but it is a 120 HP motor with 300 Ft-lbs of torque @ 1700 Rpm's. More than enough to power this old hoe. Anyway, the hoe has a BW T-12 directional trans with an SAE #4 bell housing pattern. So that means the Continental has an SAE #4 adapter. Problem is; I can't for the life of me, find an SAE #4 adapter for the Cummins engine. I can get a #2 or #3 adapter and buy an adapter ring to adapt the #3 adapter to the #4 bellhousing. Make sense? Are we confused yet? At this time, the Cummins has a Chevy adapter and flywheel. What I'm wondering is; has anyone done anything like this before? Has anyone tried to redrill an adapter and flywheel to fit a different motor than the one it was originally intended to fit? My thinking here is to redrill the Continental adapter and flywheel to fit the Cummins engine. I do not have the flathead engine removed yet as I'm trying to be delicate so as not to mess up any hydraulic hoses. I will also have to move the governor driven hydraulic pump from the right side of the Continental engine and remount it on the left side of the Cummins and drive it off of the accessory drive gear in the timing case. Anyone have any thoughts about any of this? Thanks for reading.
You need to make some careful measurements and determine if a adap. ring is going to make the housing too deep you may need a 2 to a 4 offset Adap. Unless you are really into Cummins, Deere motors usually have sae 4 housings and 4239 motors go reasonable so you could sell off the 4bt and have some money left over
There are several repower threads here,this is one that is pretty thorough for reference. HeavyEquipmentForums Ron G
I read your post a little more carefully and you ask about re drilling the old flywheel to fit the Cummins. I Would be more inclined to keep the o.e. flywheel and drill new holes for the converter or a flywheel for a different app., there are lots of them. I love a good repower! Trust me! I just like it when I don't have to make adaptor rings but I have and probably will again.
Yeah, thanks for the suggestion, but the 4BT has so many parts available and I believe will probably last me the rest of my life and maybe my son's life. Besides, my wife would kill me. Her daddy was an IH guy and loathed JD. Really she would get over it, but I'm pretty dead set on the Cummins. Thank you. That is very good thread. Only problem is my current flywheel is a GM flywheel and I plan to use it and the adapter behind a 6BT for a chopped, channeled, sectioned and slammed 1980 Pete 359. I really want a 8V71 for that project, but they are HEAVY!!!! We'll see though.
If you want that two cycle scream,and reasonable weight, I am thinking 6v53 man! Yee Haa! Dual 3s and a Jake and we have a ride and a half.
I do love the sound of those old 2 stroke diesels.