Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Require advise on 977L track loader 1977 70J with right pedal not returning.

David Rayner ยท 2023-08-04 21:32

Hi, Aussie needing some advise on possible solution to right pedal sticking and not returning freely. Could this be a bearing? I have a Cat Service Manual and I'm unable to identify the cause. Checked screen, filters and fluids for metal with nothing found. Right pedal was a little sticky when first used but worked fine until recently. No other issues with this machine. Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance David.

Replies12
  1. #1Dave Neubert2023-08-08 18:20

    They have needle bearings and they wear and bind also is your return spring good

  2. #2OzDozer2023-08-08 20:01

    Dave Neubert is right onto it. Disconnect the pedal linkage at the lever on top of the steering clutch housing and move the pedal, to check to see if the problem still exists. The shaft the pedals pivot on, is where the needle rollers are. The needle rollers have only an outer race, the inner race for the rollers is the shaft. The needle rollers vibrate when the tractor is working, and they wear grooves in the relatively soft shaft, making pedal operation sticky. Plus, dirt and dust gets into the needle rollers, and jams them up. The cure I found was to remove the pedal support shaft, machine a little off the areas on the shaft where the bearing wear is, then build up with a high-silver content brazing rod. I use Magna 77F, but you may find this rod hard to acquire. I'm sure there are equivalents in other brands. Once built up with the silver brazing rod, machine back down to correct dimensions, and fit new bearings (I STR they are regular Torrington needle roller bearings (Torrington are now owned by Timken) - so no need to get gouged by Cat pricing, just acquire them from your local industrial bearing house. The built-up silver brazed area wears far better and lasts much longer than the original steel surface.

  3. #3David Rayner2023-08-09 00:30

    Many thanks for your reply Dave. The return spring is fine. Pedals move fine, the right brake actuator lever seems to be stuck. Any thoughts?

  4. #4David Rayner2023-08-09 00:33

    Thanks for your reply also OzDozer, Pedals are all free, looks to be the right brake actuator which is not wanting to return. Any ideas? Thanks in advance David.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-08-09 01:59

    David, there are also 2 needle roller bearings in the actuator shaft in the top cover over the brakes and clutches. I'd suggest removing the top cover and check those bearings for wear and binding.

  6. #6Dave Neubert2023-08-09 08:12

    What Oz said

  7. #7tctractors2023-08-15 15:34

    Try adjusting the brakes to the correct standard as it often sorts wayward peddles.

  8. #8David Rayner2023-08-16 04:02

    Thanks for the advise tctractors, I will check when I have the cover off.

  9. #9charles walton2023-08-19 18:37

    Is this the same for a 941b ?

  10. #10OzDozer2023-08-19 20:55

    Yes, the brake linkage setup is similar on the 941B, except for the fact the 941B has no steering levers, and the brake pedals operate the steering clutch mechanism during the first part of their travel, and the brakes only operate at the end of the pedal travel.

  11. #11David Rayner2023-08-19 22:37

    Cheers Gents, had a good look at the top cover brake actuator and gave it a good clean and greased and now freed up, also dajusted the brakes, Many thanks to you all for your advise, greatly appreciated. David

  12. #12charles walton2023-08-20 08:38

    I have not looked into the pedal linkage yet but I had one that was sticking a little when I first started running the machine. If it has those needle bearings I should probably go in and clean and grease them.