I'm looking at moving into a field truck within the next couple of years- I currently work in the shop at a Cat dealer. At this point I have about a year and a half of experience and am still building my tool collection. Right now I have the basics fairly well covered but I wanted to get a required tooling list for a field mechanic (I have heard that other dealers have them, we just don't) so I have an idea of what gaps I need to fill over the next few years. Currently I buy on an as needed basis and what I anticipate needing but it would be nice to have a check off list of stuff to keep an eye out for that I wouldn't otherwise think of at this stage in my career Anybody have any lists to share from their shops?
This is an older required list for the Cat Technician program. I'm sure you have most if not all on the list. Generally your tool crib should supply any special tools required for the job you need to do. These are all Cat tool numbers Fall 2007-08 CAT Dealer Service Technician Tool List 114TMPB ¼ DR SET TMM4 SOCKET TMM5 SOCKET TMXK4 EXTENSION 207FSU S/FLEX SET 211FSY S/HEX SET 313TWYA 3/8” -1-1/8” Shallow Impact Skts F4LB SPEEDER FXK3 EXTENSION FXK6 EXTENSION F081 SOCKET F101 SOCKET GSAF1E ADAPTOR A2A ADAPTOR 314GTWYA S/HEX SET S936 RATCHET SN15B BREAKER BAR SXK5 EXTENSION SXK11 EXTENSION SOEX711 WRENCH SET OEX180B WRENCH OEX240B WRENCH VO1618B WRENCH PPC714B PUNCH PPC812B CHISEL PPC912B PUNCH PPC905B PUNCH 1658C PINCH BAR SHD2R SCREWDRIVER SHD4R SCREWDRIVER SHD6R SCREWDRIVER SDD8 SCREWDRIVER SDDP21 SCREWDRIVER SSDEP101B SCREWDRIVER 911BCP PLIERS STORK 87CF DIAGONAL CUTTER VP10R VISE GRIP 47ACP PLIERS 91ACP PLIERS BPN12B HAMMER HBFE32 32OZ HAMMER PK52 SCRAPER FB335 FEELER GAUGE HS18A HACKSAW RXFS2432B WRENCH AWEF9K HEX WRENCH SET OSHM713 WRENCH SET OEXM6B WRENCH 212FMY D/HEX SET 212SFMY D/HEX SET 323SWMY D/HEX SET 313SMYA ½” SOCKET SET SM25 SOCKET SM26 SOCKET 207EFAMY HEX DRIVE SET XT7100 ½” Dr. Impact SAM12E HEX DRIVER SAM14E HEX DRIVER SAM17E HEX DRIVER AWMEF7K HEX WRENCH SET AW1015DHK HEX WRENCH SET AWM110DK HEX WRENCH SET AWML1.5D HEX WRENCH 212EFTXY TORX DRIVE SET 313TSYA S/HEX SET 3ASHA HOOK TOOL GA353B MECH FINGER QD3250 ½” Dr. Torque Wrench KRA2055 CHEST KRA2007 ROLL CABINET 7001803 Fluke 87 Multimeter (NAPA)
If you can get hold of a Cat Tool Guide either in paper or pdf format check out the differences between a Shopman's tool set and a Serviceman's ditto. Basically that's the recommended basic upgrade in hand tools when moving from a service shop to field work.
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I have everything and more listed by Ship660 already. Appreciate it I will take a look at the Tool Guide when I get to work tomorrow we have a paper copy of it in the service office. Yep, they supply all the stuff like engine/machine specific tool kits , slide sledges, torch, welder, floor jack for belly pans, diagnostic tools and so on. Air, hand, electric tools are all on me. As I spend more time with the field guys I am trying to pay attention to how their trucks are set up and what tooling they recommend. I know I have to get stuff like a 3/4 drive impact and sockets (supplied in the tool crib for us shop guys), some hydraulic guages, timing pins, and some odds and ends like that that I currently borrow from my shop foreman but I do have a couple of years to get all set up with that.
I would't buy any hydraulic gauges. I didn't have to at gregory poole, and I'm pretty sure my buddy who's a field tech at blanchard (where I'm assuming you are) didn't have to buy his. Timing pins as well. thats a specialty tool. my handiest thing on my service truck is my little 1/4 ton come along from harbor freight. I've used it for everything from putting valves in graders to helping wrap skid loader tracks. I also keep a few different sizes of bottle jacks on the truck. they are relatively cheap and have a multitude of uses. Just talk to some of your field guys, if you ask nicely they might let you look in their compartments to see what they have a accumulated. It varies depending on your territory and specialty.
This is the one I had. Very handy little tool almost better than having someone helping you as it won't get tired and drop something at the wrong time! http://https://www.cmworks.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=3026 I thought we got them through Graingers but don't see them listed there but plenty of places should sell them. That and a couple good light duty ratchet straps come in very handy holding things while working.