Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Requiring help to identify the model of CAT 955 machine I have purchased. I believe it to be a 955H but there are no builder plates on it (eng no. 77A

1553 ยท 2023-11-13 06:32

Hoping there are some CAT experts on here that can help me identify the crawler I have just purchased. I

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2023-11-13 07:27

    Well it's not a dozer for a start...!! From that era machine and engine Serial numbers were the same provided that the original engine is still installed. 77A indicates an Australian-built 955H "Traxcavator", for which production started in 1962. With a complete engine Serial Number someone will be able to date your loader more accurately.

  2. #215532023-11-13 08:07

    Thank you Nige for your information, the full serial no. stamped on the engine is; 77A 3172. I am trying to buy parts and a repair manual but have been told they only go up to "60A"....however, I assume, they used the same engine, the D330T in all the 955H models?

  3. #3OzDozer2023-11-13 08:17

    Australian built 955H, 77A series production numbers; 77A0108 - 77A0165 = 1963 year of build 77A0166 - 77A0215 = 1964 77A0216 - 77A0262 = 1965 77A0263 - 77A0312 = 1966 77A0313 - 77A0349 = 1967 77A0350 - 77A0364 = 1968 You'd better check the numbers again, I think you'll find it is 77A0172. Engine is a 4 cyl model D330T, 4.5" bore, turbocharged, 100HP. This model 955H traxcavator features oil cooled clutches and brakes, 2 speed powershift transmission with high/low range, giving 4 speeds forward and reverse. Standard GP and multi-purpose 4-in-1 buckets are both 1.75 cu yds (1.34 cu metres) capacity. The 955H came with dry-type aircleaner, lubricated for life track rollers and idlers, double reduction final drive - and it weighed 25,400lbs (11,524kgs). The machine is fitted with a genuine Cat No. 4 ripper. The name "Drott" is a name that belonged to the Drott Manufacturing Company, founded by Edward Drott in 1916. In 1950, International Harvester, went into agreement with Drott to produce the Drott "4-in-1" bucket, and these units were called "International-Drott". Then when the patents expired on the 4-in-1 bucket, other manufacturers, including Cat, built their own 4-in-1 buckets along identical lines to the Drott bucket. So, many people then called any 4-in-1 bucket, a "Drott" bucket. The tractor may or may not have pedal steer. According to my information, pedal steer was introduced in 1964, but Australian-built machines could have followed a different design line. I'm intrigued by the small outer sprocket bearing. This is a unique Australian-built machine feature. It's a throwback to a much earlier design. It's like Cat Australia were using up old parts. All the 955 and 955H brochures show an outer sprocket hub with the later, larger outer bearing, which features a large diameter circular plate with 6 bolts holding it on. That older sprocket bearing design dates back to the 1940's and I'm quite amazed that the Australian built 955H varied so much from the U.S.-built machines in that area.

  4. #4OzDozer2023-11-13 08:29

    The 60A series 955H was built in the U.S. and was largely identical to the 77A series - apart from that outer sprocket bearing! You can use a 60A parts catalog and a 60A service manual without too many problems. There will be some minor differences, but the engines are identical, because all the Cat engines were built in the U.S. Caterpillar Australia only built the frame, final drives, steering clutches and hydraulics of the 955H, the engine and transmission were built in the U.S. and shipped in to Australia fully assembled, and simply dropped into the tractor here. Caterpillar Australia may possibly have never produced a parts catalog for the 77A series, because production numbers were so low. If they did, the 77A books would be very hard to find. Your 955H sprockets have been upgraded in recent years to bolt-on sprocket segments. This would have involved welding a bolt-on sprocket adaptor plate to the original sprocket.

  5. #515532023-11-13 18:35

    Thank you OzDozer, you have given me exactly the information I was looking for, much appreciated!

  6. #615532023-11-13 19:07

    When I try to order parts from a Qld CAT parts supplier, they require an 8 digit serial number so my "77A 0172" is not recognised. Can I use "60A and a fictitious 5 further numbers?

  7. #7OzDozer2023-11-14 02:51

    No, use 77A00172. If that fails, then try a 60A number. 1964 model 60A numbers ran from 60A07510 to 60A09577. The Cat computer system requires 8 digits in the prefix and serial number, or the system rejects it.