Has anyone resealed the swing rams on a john deere 510C? I don't think you can get the shafts out with the rams still in the tractor and I cannot figure out how to get the top cap bolts out! Thanks Mike.
You should be able to swing the backhoe boom about half or two thirds either way and reseal the cylinder on the opposite side the backhoe was swung to and the same for the opposite cylinder. If your machine is over serial # 737927 or one or both of the cylinders has been replaced (there's a spanner nut you remove from the guide and push the guide into the barrel and remove the snap ring) you'l need a filler ring that goes in the snap ring groove in the barrel to get the guide and piston out of the barrel. A barrel seal kit from JD will have a filler ring in it. It's an orange plastic ring that's split. The filler ring is for disassembly only. Take it out before reinstalling the rod assembly back into the barrel or it will damage the piston and guide seals. If your serial # is below 737926 and has original cylinders the guide screws into the barrel and there should be a set screw that goes into the barrel just past where the guide meets the barrel and takes an 1/8 inch Allen wrench to remove. I can put pictures on here or you can see them on JD parts.com.
Thank you for your response. I will give it a try. I did reseal the out riggers and that was a adventure! Haha
My whole problem was I didn't remove both swing ram pins and the other pin was not letting me get enough movement. Thanks for all the help.