Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 430 Bucket Slams Shut @ Start Up

Tech102 · 2026-08-21 19:57

The bucket slams shut immediately at startup even with hydraulics disengaged. To my understanding it’s a pilot pressure operated system. Went to pull the spool valve for bucket control but it won’t slide out like the other ones do. Bent spool? Cat website says to remove seat and floor panels to take entire valve assembly out in order to replace valve pack. Could I maybe pull it apart still on the machine ? The packs in the middle so I’d have to remove a few others in the process , but I’d imagine it quicker than removing seat, floor panels and using a crane to lift entire block out?

Replies8
  1. #1Tyler d4c2026-08-21 20:25

    What exactly do you mean by slams shut does it have a 4 in 1 that closes or the bucket curl up?

  2. #2Tech1022026-08-21 20:29

    Bucket curls up completely right when you crank it.

  3. #3Tech1022026-08-21 20:41

    I think the spool valves are supposed to slide out pretty smoothly? The spool next to it slides right out fine , but the bucket control spool will slide out about half an inch before it gets stuck and it also will not go all the way in it’s stuck partially out. When spinning it I can feel different spots binding up.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2026-08-21 20:55

    Pull the bucket spool out is there any chunks of metal in the oil it shoul move easy and free

  5. #5Tech1022026-08-21 20:59

    I think the spool might be bent or marred up because it won’t come out.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2026-08-21 21:42

    Youll have to remove the whole valve assembly and replace that section. This you defenitly want to do on the bench not under the machine. You should pull the cylinder/s for this function apart and be sure that there not failing in some way

  7. #7Tech1022026-08-22 08:54

    Can I drop it from underneath the machine ? SIS shows to remove seat and floor panels and window , use a crane and pull it out the back.

  8. #8Coaldust2026-08-22 10:44

    No, it has to come out the top. I’ve tried doing it the other way.