Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Resistor or Diode protected relays?

Plant Fitter ยท 2014-06-02 07:39

Auto relays are available with either resistor or diode circuit protection on the switch circuit. I believe it is to prevent voltage spikes from damaging circuit components when the relay coil is de-energised. What is the advantage of one type over the other?

Replies5
  1. #1chroniekon2014-06-02 12:23

    A comprehensive explanation at this site. http://www.cbxelectronics.com/pdf/app-notes/app-note1.pdf

  2. #2John C.2014-06-02 21:12

    Wow! Cavemen like me shouldn't try to read stuff like that. All I need to know about that subject is if the diode or resister isn't there, I'll have problems in short order.

  3. #3Axle2014-06-03 19:24

    Are there "sensitive" electronics on the unit that could be harmed? If not, don't worry about it. Alex.

  4. #4Jim D2014-06-10 00:35

    chroniekon, thanks for the link! Very good stuff.

  5. #5lantraxco2014-06-10 01:27

    If a relay without protection is switching an inductive load like a solenoid coil the voltage spike will quickly destroy the relay contacts. For you old guys like me it's like having a condenser go bad and burning up the points in your ignition.