Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Retracting steps or ladder.

dabsfabs ยท 2015-03-01 05:31

Pick a job to mod cat walks on 70 ton execvator but client wants retracting steps or ladder. Can these be brought as a kit from or do you have to design your own and make it work?

Replies23
  1. #1fixou8122015-03-01 07:55

    I've searched for such and haven't found much. I have thought about this and have a design for these. One idea is a staircase ladder that extends with the assist of a truck break chamber.

  2. #2Nige2015-03-01 08:16

    Lots of excavator manufacturers use powered retractable or folding access stairways, usually on machines bigger than 70ton, often they are standard. I'd guess it would be a bit pricy to buy the parts from Hitachi or Cat and then install them. I don't know of any aftermarket company that sells DIY-install kits.

  3. #3kshansen2015-03-01 09:14

    Or better idea how about a linear actuator something like these: http://www.thomsonlinear.com/website/com/eng/products/actuators/electrak_10.php

  4. #4coalrulz2015-03-01 14:19

    May want to look at Hedweld's webiste: http://www.hedweld.com.au/brochures-english-usa Makes sense that they would be an Austrailian company... they take there safety serious down there.

  5. #5hvy 1ton2015-03-02 01:37

    I was looking through hedweld's website and found this. Something like that with an electric linear actuator would be pretty slick. Here's the link to the pdf. http://www.hedweld.com.au/sites/default/files/Safe-Away_Product_Catalog_WEB_(USA).pdf

  6. #6Dualie2015-03-04 01:07

    electric actuators are SLOW! Id be looking at pneumatic setups if the machine has onboard air

  7. #7GregD12015-03-04 06:50

    Use a small hydraulic cylinder and run it off pilot oil. I`m also not sure why one is needed on a machine that size, but whatever. I would also be more concerned about a warning or alarm about the ladder no being in the up position before working the machine.

  8. #8Clive2015-03-12 15:26

    http://www.ade.net.au/index.php?Komatsu_PC1250_7 http://www.ade.net.au/index.php?Hitachi_ZX870 http://www.ade.net.au/index.php?Hyundai_R1200-9 Contact www.brake.com they can get you info on these systems. Clive

  9. #9fixou8122015-03-12 18:18

    I found one concept i liked by Google attic stairs then clicking imagine at the bottom. What I'm interested in is stairs for a 966 size machine or ag tractor.

  10. #10Clive2015-03-12 18:43

    http://www.ade.net.au/index.php?Komatsu_WA600_1 http://www.ade.net.au/index.php?Hitachi_AH500 Currently working on a small low cost electric version Clive

  11. #11fixou8122015-03-12 18:51

    Check YouTube. Motorized retractable staircase

  12. #12Clive2015-03-12 19:01

    Cool concept.

  13. #13fixou8122015-03-12 19:17

    YouTube. "Retractable zip ladders

  14. #14fixou8122015-03-12 19:48

    YouTube Ladder super simplex (Hope the moderators don't think i own a ladder company )

  15. #15fixou8122015-03-12 20:04

    Sovereign retractable stairway (Google )

  16. #16fixou8122015-03-12 20:52

    YouTube. Hitachi excavator stairs

  17. #17fixou8122015-03-12 21:06

    YouTube large dozer access ladder. (D11T)

  18. #18kshansen2015-03-13 07:57

    But what about getting into machine to start to build up air pressure?

  19. #19kshansen2015-03-13 08:01

    And how do you get pilot oil pressure before getting in the machine to start it? Guess you could leave the ladder down at the end of shift but I'd think that would just invite vandals to mess with machine.

  20. #20fixou8122015-03-13 09:18

    My original thought was a 966 size machine with a staircase ladder combo. With handrails. The stair treads when retracted would flip up and become a ladder. So if the operator left the stairs out and air pressure bled off overnight the Brake chamber would have no pressure and staircase would retract and become a ladder.

  21. #21dabsfabs2015-03-17 15:27

    Customer how decide not to bother with steps, he wants manual steps with the cat walk. I'll put some pictures once finished, it will be unpainted as they have sprayer for that work.

  22. #22dabsfabs2015-03-22 14:45

    Pictures of step customer not sure what they want ladder wise currently. I'm going to have to wait for pictures of it painted as this this will be done else where. I don't get that joy thankfully.

  23. #23kshansen2015-03-22 14:50

    Only problem I see putting steps on a machine like that is if operator shuts off machine with house in the wrong position they could be blocked by the tracks. But then operators don't make mistakes do they!