I have looked at 3 boring jobs in two weeks they all look about like this.
Wow..... I am never at a loss for words, but that pretty much leaves me speechless.
They got all the goody out of that one.
It owes them nothing. They bled every penny from that one.
You could probably graft a new nose end on to that stick if the manufacturer (Hitachi?) does a repair part.
Good idea Nige, I know they used to, but that was twenty years ago, lol.
I know that Cat still supply nose ends for both booms and sticks (but not necessarily for all models), the last one I was involved in was a couple of years ago. So long as you have some good welders it's a relatively easy job.
Yea they do we've done a few like this the one in the pic is gouged off and the new part is almost welded out. The weld on ends are about $2k
All the wear's on one side, just cut it off, turn it over and pack JB Weld behind the bushing. :beatsme
you gotta watch those grease mites the will sneak in and infest your whole fleet and eat all you grease up if you set traps for them
On further viewing, that nose looks like a tombstone shaped forging or casting, rather than the usual machined tube. I missed it on first glance. Fun!
How does someone run a machine to that sort of a breaking point? It blows my mind to see such disregard to a machines maintenance.
Here it is welded on,Its not a bad job I had almost rather do this as I had build one back up, we done it in about 3.5 hrs. now just bore it out. Except when it tour loose it twisted the link will have to pull that back, you gota love it or you will hate it.
Both ends are a forging has tube in middle with a void, no way to be sure it greases I will put a grease zerk in the center and hope they use it it is in wet sand.
Good looking repair! :drinkup
We normally cut that centre tube out and leave it out when we bore them. All that grease has to come out before the bores are welded. That's a nice looking job. Want me to come and bore it?
Here is the next one kind of like the first, the bucket is worse gona take the ears off and burn new. The third one they found a near new stick they wanted to put in new pins and bushings so they dropped it at shop, you could tap them in with a small hammer and the o-ring step is all but gone so here we go.
To hard to see for sure but the boss on the bucket looks one piece and goes right through the ear? You might be able to just cut it out and machine up a new boss,weld it in and line bore it to final size. A bloke who used to work for me used to get angry when he come across butchered machines like that. I told him if we didn't have people like that we would all be looking for a job
Company I used to work for would have a local machine shop turn out a new end for a long reach about once a year. Operators would wear out the bushings and into the eye yearly, we got pretty good at welding new ones onto the dipper.
Yes we have done that a lot but it went thru the boss about 1 in. sorry for pics.
I have machines here and have made a few, but these are made with casted ends with a tube in the middle, On Deere they are not to pricy not a bad job really.
Just out of curiosity, what did the pin look like and how on earth could anyone stand to listen to anything screech and squeal and rub on bare dry metal long enough to wear it out that badly not to mention the slop in everything??
Yair . . . I have to have a little chuckle when I see the comments here. As I always say . . . its horses for courses and what are you trying to achieve? I have not had much to do with excavators but wear (not quite that extreme) was par for the course. We had spare heavy wall bushes made up ready to weld on and I could have a machine clapped out like that up and running in couple of hours. I had 1 1/2" side plates on the stick and the bushes just sat into the cradle and pretty much self aligned . . . they just got a good solid vertical up on the outside to hold every thing in place. The pins were locked to the bucket ears of course to concentrate all the wear on the pin and boss. Other outfits shagged around with line boring and even spent tens of thousands of dollars making housing with toric seals an Lord knows what . . . a complete and utter waste of time. Nah . . . when you're double shifting baling mangrove mud and sand under fifteen feet of water forget precision engineering . . . I'd have that fixed in about the same time it took my off sider to adjust the drive chains on the Kato. (Big grin** Cheers.
Those excavators look similar to a set of loader arm bores I did on a 990 Cat loader a while back. There was an inch and a half distance between the new bearing and the bottom of the loader arm bore after I shoved the new bearing in the bore to see how long I planned on welding. I ended up replacing the bosses on the left loader arm then line boring back to spec. I bored those bores four years ago for the same reason. Something about a grease worm problem.
Our 988h with 4k hours is already sloppy in the bucket linkage from those darn grease worms. It makes me sick.
I have the same grease worm infestation in our skidsteers. They run it right up till the pin breakso and falls out then the stick a bolt through it and keep trying. Pissses me off to no end!
It never ceases to amaze me how some guys run their iron. A little grease goes a long, long way.
One of the bush repairs I seen years ago was a JD backhoe arm. When I went to weld the hole I found that previously the owner had hammered in a circle of 2 inch nails around the pin then run a ring of weld around the outside to hold them!
The previous wrench pull my company had would just get a new bering and hold it close to the middle of the worn out bore and just weld it in around the ends. He said it was as good or better than factory. so now I get to have fun fixing those messes that he left for me. I love it when guys try to make new pins on the job out of rebar. It really beats the cap out of the bore before I get there.
I bid this one in Dec. they let me start on it yesterday, had to tell the lead man to go to office find bid and put it in the trash. When I first looked at loader it was simple boring job now it's time to cut them off weld on new.