I have a 1992 310D with return to dig feature on the loader. It does not seem to work or I don't know how to work it. Can someone explain the functions I must do and what to expect the bucket and boom to do. The owner's manuel says, move the control lever to full rollback position and the bucket will automatically level itself ready to dig. I don't know if the boom must be all the way up or where and what to expect to feel on the lever. Is it suppose to detent like the float position? Can someone help.
Raise your loader bucket off the ground several feet. Roll the bucket all the way forward, like your dumping the bucket. Grasp the loader control lever, pull it hard to the left to roll the bucket back up, the lever should lock in place to roll bucket up. If it doesn't, your return to dig isn't working. If the lever does lock in, it will remained locked until the bucket rolling up reaches a certain point at which the lever will unlock and return to center position. This has the loader bucket in the proper position to drive forward and load the bucket in a grading or digging position. You still have to move the loader arms down or up, but the bucket roll will be in proper postition. Hope that helps.
OK, I think I understand. The solenoid on the control valve holds the lever to the left until the switch on the cam disconnects when the bucket is level. Definitely, mine does not work. I will check the switch adjustment etc. tomorrow. Thanks a million
Your welcome. The return to dig is an operator preference. Some operators find it annoying when they are grading with the bucket, moving the bucket roll up and down, and the darn lever locks on them during process. :Banghead The place it is handy is when your doing something like loading a dump truck. Dump the load, then as your moving back to pile to load, the return to dig puts you in the proper position. For the life of me I don't see why the manufacturers don't have a switch on dash console to select whether to use return to dig or not.
I agree there should be a switch. Would save me the time of ripping the fuse out.......haha.
Some wheel loader manufacturers have the option to have it on or not. I ran a couple Volvo loaders that had that and a Case loader.
It uses a sensor on your bucket cylinder and is usually adjustable eith manually or if it has has rotation sensors then it can be adjustable from in the cab. but i doubt it is adjustable from the cab. you might have to go out and adjust the slide on the sensor so that it is level when it hits the ground.
I got it to work today. There is a micro switch on a cam at the loader pivot pin that is controlled via a rod connected to the bucket linkage. The grease from the loader pin clogged up the micro switch and caused it to stay open. I cleaned off all the old grease and did the adjustment as per the manuel and it works perfectly. Now I need to get use to it and hopefully I will like it. If not I will put a switch in the cab label R to D ON-OFF.:tong
OH, by the way ATCO. A good mechanic is priceless. Thank you for a quick and accurate response. I have another question for you. With my serial number, who do I ask to find out where my backhoe was purchased new and how would I find a service history? My local John Deere construction equipment dealer said they could not help. All they could say is it did not come from there. Thanks
A switch to turn return to dig on/off would be nice. It's a feature that is nice when doing tasks like loading trucks from a pile, but for general grading, it can be a PITA. I don't know that your going to be able to find out the original sales history on your machine. And if it was owned/serviced by a company or individual, there may be no dealer history on repairs or maintanence. I wouldn't worry much about it. Your the owner now, most folks change the fluids and filters as needed and start the machine history fresh.