hi i have a john deere 210c skip loader and was wanting to install a reverse alarm on it and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as far as how to hook it up. i know most alarms have a ground and power wire but my question is how is the alarm activated?
One side of the horn/beeper is connected to 12V and then goes to a normally open switch. The other side of the switch goes to ground. The switch is somewhere on the transmission linkage, including on the transmission. Just like backup lights on a car, when the shifter is moved to reverse, the linkage moves and makes contact with the switch and closes the connection. With the connection closed the beeper turns on.
Is it new enough that it had a beeper when it was made? If so, look on the tranny case for a screwed in switch, there might be more than one in the case, so get your vom out and see if the switch changes from open to closed when you put it in reverse. Or on the linkage. Something that would contact the link when it goes into reverse...that's how I would install one, momentary switch mounted so the linkage closed it.
Have seen and installed micro switch assemblies with lighter brackets at the shift lever, not realy cool as they can get stepped on or bent readily but will work if no other alternate.
From what I can tell my guess would be that it is a 1988 210c because the 10th digit of the vin is an 8 and I know it's an older tractor. I pulled the floor board and there are no switches at the shuttle shift linkage but there are some sensors that are plugged into where the linkage hooks up and on the tranny it's self.......I was kinda hoping there was an existing way to hook one up with out having to hook up and bracket and switch. I'm thinking I may call in a guy who has installed beepers on some of my other equipment just wanted to try and figure it out myself.