Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reverse hydraulic thumb control direction on Volvo EC160D?

jca57jd · 2019-05-01 14:19

Hey Guys. Is there any way for me to swap the direction of the aux hydraulic (thumb) buttons on my 2013 Volvo EC160D? I would just like to make my pedal and thumb switch control the thumb in the opposite direction that it currently runs. My other 3 excavators run the opposite control direction way so I’m finding my self opening when I want to be closing because of the natural habits that I’ve developed. Is reversing the hoses on the thumb cylinder the only way? Thanks!

Replies9
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-05-01 14:28

    Either at the stick end or swapping servo hoses at spool caps. I dont think you have enough hose for that though. I think at the attachment is the best course of action for you. Certainly less complicated so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

  2. #2jca57jd2019-05-01 14:44

    Thanks fun with fuel. So you agree just reverse the hoses on the thumbs cylinder?

  3. #3funwithfuel2019-05-01 14:59

    Quickest, simplest option

  4. #4John C.2019-05-01 16:24

    Might be easier to swap the pilot hoses on the solenoid valve. A lot of times the hoses on the thumb cylinder are plumbed on opposite sides of the boom or stick. If you have a pedal control, just swap them on that.

  5. #5funwithfuel2019-05-01 16:45

    I was going to suggest that at 1st but he also has thumb control and he wants to keep the thumb and the pedal opposite of where they are now I thought this simplest thing to do would be to swap it at the stick. I also did not think he would have enough servo hose to pull up and swap them at the spool caps

  6. #6excavator2019-05-01 20:52

    The thumb control switch wiring can be changed at the solenoid valve and I would think the plumbing should be able to be switched at the foot valve, under the floor boards.

  7. #7funwithfuel2019-05-01 21:30

    Yeah, but your missing the fact that if he switches attachment to a hammer or shear he will have to undo all changes and/or have a real PITA to set pressure especially with one way flow. Plus the divert valve at the foot of the boom would be backward as well. For the cost of a couple longer attachment hoses that can criss cross he's ahead of the game.

  8. #8jca57jd2019-05-01 21:36

    Many thanks for the advice guys!!! I just bought this machine 2 weeks ago and I’m liking it a lot, just working out the few things that you always have to do to get a machine like you want it.

  9. #9excavator2019-05-01 21:47

    Nothing said about this, he just wants his thumb to work the same as the other machines he owns.