New here been running all over trying to find information on my fit, working on a mid eighties 410d and the reverser spews oil out of the dipstick oil is beat to a froth airiated (sp?). Can let it sit in neutral no problem put it in either direction and terrible things happen. Hy gard oil is in good shape no crud or junk in it filter looks good. No obvious signs of leaks on case, other than the spew. Any ideas? Am coming up short and the isn't much better. Thanks in advance W.C. Acre
I'm assuming what you have is a straight 410, though there will be a "D" on the serial plate. The actual 410D came out later I think, has a torque convertor and a short driveshaft with u-joints connecting up to the transmission. Have you pulled the suction strainer out of the bottom of the trans case just for giggles? Probably okay, but you never know, might be plugged causing it to suck air. Rather complex system, lots of things to go wrong. What does it do when you try to put it in gear then?
This photo might help you clarify what model you have. The 310 and 410 most often look the same.
I have a 410d short shaft between had converter with reverser behind it then short shady to trans. May be later model just did a quick guess on what was on ROPS sticker, didn't run down numbers yet, net hasn't been very forth coming with info on 410 's wants to go all 310 on me W.C. Acree
Okay, so it actually is a 410D, that's a whole 'nother animal there. Still has a suction screen in the bottom of the reverser housing though. This might be of help: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
Nice parts break down and exploded view, bunch more than I had thanks. And the right one for sure this time. Yes it does have a screen type tube across the bottom inside under the flat cover, nothing on it everything clean filter clean. The only thing it does is beat oil to a froth an blow it out the dipstick tube as soon as it is put in forward or reverse, just can't figure why so far. W.C.Acree
Something has come apart inside would be my guess, either an oil tube, or a valve, or a seal ring, and all the charge oil is blowing out inside the housing instead of building pressure. YMMV. Here's an FYI that might be of interest: http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/0/6/69-john-deere-410d.html
Yes, kind of what I have been wondering, the unit was from a construction outfit and on a hay farm now so it has always been treated very nice come to complete stops before changing directions and slowed down too At least doesn't look like gears or pins to go bad just some pistons and seals so guess is a matter of starting at back plate and going forward till I find something. Thanks parts views were a help I kept getting the 310 stuff W.C.Acree
I know that I'm digging up an old thread, I am having the same trouble, Do you know what the problem was? Thanks
I have a JD 300, a 310D, and a 410. I have removed and replaced new reverser with new torque converter, only for it to operate normally in reverse . When moving lever to forward, it will hardly move at all, but tries to go forward when turning the steering wheel back and forth which makes me believe there is insufficient fluid from the torque converter to an apparent clutch pack and yet will move rearward with plenty of power. I cleaned and inspected the two solenoids on top of the reverser, cleaned the rod valve they rest upon, even ordered two new stacked upon each other solenoids, and still no change. Seems to be an additional solenoid to the side of these other two, but was unable to remove and clean it. the wiring harness appears to be OK except very oilly and dirty. could that cause a problem itself, and should I remove and replace the rod solenid valve that screws down into the system. Any idea that heavier Lucas additive might also help. I need ideas. Don Ruggles, Army Helicopter Pilot.
For the oil out the dipstick, and foamy, I just tore the reverser down on my 410D and found ZERO issue inside. Turns out that the fault was a completely plugged breather on the reverser. Certainly something worth checking
I will try cleaning that. Don
Ditto on the breather. I was half hoping as I scrolled down that someone hadn't beat me to it.
I currently have my reverser tore completly down. Found nothing inside. I did find my breather plugged. I sure wish I would have asked before tearing down...... anyway, reverser getting some new parts and we'll put humpty dumpty back together. Thanks everyone.
Welcome to HEF, kawfarmer1977 !
I have been very ill lately, but hopefully will re-tackle my farm equipment this week. I have three JD backhoes, three dozers, a wheel loader, several tractors, and of course my Jet Ranger helicopters, all to take care of, and yet, getting too old for all of this. Don
Look after your health first and then do what you can on the iron.
Yes, I have an appointment at the VA tomorrow for a follow up, then will retackle farm work.