Hi fellas, My machine is a 1997 jcb 215s, perkins, cab, powershift. Having trouble with the throttle linkage, need help figuring whats broke. The hand throttle functions as it should, but the foot throttle fails to return to idle position when you remove your foot. I suspect it is a failed throttle cable, but can't understand how the two throttle work together to create this symptom. Any help out there? Ken
watglen Yes both work together from the same cable from injection pump to foot throttle then onto hand lever check that the pedal is free not seized and also the spring on the pedal is not broken and that the cable has not come out of adjustment with the lock nuts coming loose on foot pedal cable mounting or that the cable is not adjusted correctly so as the inner is bunching up at foot pedal. Not the easiest of things to get at but best of luck.
Yeah, not easy to get at. I was thinking a cable must be broke or something. I know the spring is good, and the pedal is free to move. Will start disassembly....
Took all day and 3 guys but we got the foot throttle pedal off. Whew! What a snotty job. Anyway, in the end, the cables are fine. It was the pivot point for the throttle pedal. Pounded the daylights out of it to get it out. Cleaned it up and lubed. Works nice and easy now. Hopefully reassembly goes a little easier.
Hey guys I’m in a similar situation where my backhoe, same 215 model, also has a foot throttle issue. Mines not getting stuck, it seems like it may be too loose. If I use the foot throttle and rake my foot off the pedal the engine will eventually die from lack of fuel. Does that just need to be adjusted/ tightened? If so where, at the pedal itself? The hand throttle works fine and I use that for the majority of the time. thanks!
Find the injection pump on the engine. If i remember right, there's a idle set screw on the linkage. The injection pump will be on side of engine with 4 injector lines going to it, and you'll see a linkage arm, with a cable from throttle pedal.
You are 100% right and now I’m embarrassed I didn’t think of that. Here’s the latest.. I did take the cover plate off the side of the engine and found the throttle linkage to be pretty loose. But to me the issue really isn’t in the linkage but instead the idler screw. So after the engine was warm, I adjusted the screw so that now the engine will idle anytime I use the foot throttle, and the hand throttle disengages. No problem right? The next day I go out to do some more work and from a cold start, I it would crank, start, die, crank sputter and die. I eventually got it started but it’s acting like it now has start issues when all I adjusted is the idle screw. Why?
Do u think it’s a fuel supply problem.?? It’s kinda easy to check.. Before you start the engine, if the pump/eng has a hand primer, USE IT.. pump it up and THEN start the engine..
Did you mess with anything else? I highly doubt adjusting the screw is the problem. Does it run fine if warmed up?
I didn’t change anything else beside that screw. I’m not sure that there is a hand pump primer, but part of my problem with this machine is I can’t source an operators manual. I guess I could readjust the screw back and see how it does, but I can only really test when it’s cold. Runs great once it’s started.
You can find manuals on ebay. Which engine is in that machine? Perkins 1004? If so, the fuel pump looks like this and is mounted on the side of the engine block.
Messed with this a bit more and found the sweet spot. She starts and drives great, with both the foot and hand throttle. Thanks guys.