My boss wants me to switch the direction of movement of boom. Instead of pushing lever forward, he wants to pull back. Is this possible? The machine is a Cat 590 SL.
Just reverse the 2 hoses going to control.
Don't you mean Case 590SL?
probably, they all look the same to me
I was thinking that, I haven't looked to see if the ends are same or if hoses are long enough to swap around
Right at the control.
Took cover off yesterday and found levers are connected to rods going down through the floor, so maybe I'll be able to get under there today
I wouldn't recommend swapping the hoses. The A & B port relief valves are set at different pressures. Reason being, as you pull the dipper through the trench, it will automatically be raising the boom, as you feather the controls. On older machines, I have seen the boom cylinders bend, when people changed the boom & dipper functions by swapping the hoses. Pulling the boom & dipper levers the same way while leveling the bottom of the trench, is a natural movement - why would he want the boom lever swapped? Every machine brand ever made will raise the boom when you pull the lever towards you.....
I'm not an operator, but this machine seems backward. I will show him this message, he'll have to get used to it. ( He's not an operator either, retired farmer turned lawyer ) trying to do some landscaping
Those cat controls are backwards when you pull the dipper goes out not come in.
Someone in the past may have done a creative modification to the boom control and it is no longer OEM. I looked in the parts book and it is possable to change direction the spool is moved with the lever. I may have been looking in the wrong parts book and the control valve is pilot operated.