Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic hose replacement

88Cat416 · 2025-08-06 20:59

Hello all, I had a hydraulic hose blow, and I'm not sure if I need to bleed the system after I replace the hose? I looked on the net and it says just raise the bucket all the way up and it will purge itself of all air in lines? If anyone can confirm this or give me some better advice, I would appreciate it. I have a manual I bought from the information you all gave me, but I don't see information on bleeding hoses in it. It's a 1988 Cat 416 FPC06746 Thanks for any help you have

Replies3
  1. #1crane operator2025-08-06 21:38

    I like to move a cylinder control until the cylinder just starts to move/ extend. Then slowly react with control lever until cylinder just starts to retract. Move to 1/4 stroke, then 1/2 stroke, working each way gradually until full stroke in each direction, to get all the air out.

  2. #2Coaldust2025-08-06 23:22

    Good advice. It’s possible to compression heat the air in the dry cylinder to the point the piston seals melt.

  3. #388Cat4162025-08-09 20:27

    Thanks, crane operator. That works great, appreciate the help