Looking for a Hyd detach non ground bearing tri axle. Used for hauling 270 Excavator and some msc. farm equipment. Would like one as wide as possible because of the width of the excavator. Here in canada 10'decks are around. Looked at almost every trailer on Ritchie Bros and 95% are 8'6" decks with swing outs. Do you american guys regularly use swing outs? how would they work for a 23-27T excavator? Even with a 9' deck I think I could get by alright without swing outs, but there are so few of them out there and the price seems to dictate it. What deck widths do you guys run?
Here in the US, 8'6" is the widest you can run without special permits, and then it would vary state to state. I haul a 330 Cat on the 8'6" deck with no outriggers, and have never had a problem. I have hauled them on an 8'0" deck as well, but it is a little trickier. For a 270, I would not worry at all with the outriggers, or swing outs, as you call them. Just load up, chain it good, and roll on.
I'm in BC, so all my trailers are 9'6" to 10'6" wide with the exception of one 8'6" cantilever deck with swingouts. But you shouldn't have a problem moving a 270 size machine on a 8'6" trailer, a 270 with wide pads will still only be around 11'6" wide. If the tracks were really wore out you might want to use the outriggers.
thanks guys, appreciate the info.