Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Riddle me this…. 2014 Cat 299D

Mad Mot · 2022-11-30 18:39

Ok so I searched the Forums trying to find the solution to an issue I was having this afternoon with my 2014 299D. Starts fine turn the park off. Moves fine. Little red hydraulic light stayed on and I didn't have any tool control. Checked all the interlocks added some hydraulic fluid no change. I've had this machine around 4 years and the windshield wiper and sprayer have never worked. Got to digging around the other day in it and found a harness behind the seat had a jumper in it and a matching plug right next to it. So I pulled the jumper, plugged it in and I had a wiper and sprayer. Life was good I didn't try and operate the machine until today. So should I assume that you have your choice of what works in these machines. You can either have a clean windshield or you can operate the loader. Cause as soon as i put that jumper back in everything worked again accept the windshield wiper and sprayer. Am I missing something?

Replies8
  1. #1Arny L2022-11-30 20:45

    Possibly your seat interlock is not working anymore, thus somebody else by-passed it by unplugging seat connector and adding jumper, which simulates seat occupant, or seat belt engaged. But wiper and washer are in same connector, so their dead, when unplugged. Fix seat or belt safety switch and plug connector in, presto, everthing should work

  2. #2Nige2022-11-30 23:14

    If you want an electrical schematic to prove Arny’s theory post a Serial Number to get the right one. Thinking more about it the door safety switch could have failed, but you’d have to test it to be certain.

  3. #3Nige2022-12-01 04:09

    Confirmed the door safety switch is in the same wiring harness as the feed for the wiper/washer system. Obviously if there is no door installed the safety switch has to be bypassed which is the function of the jumper. Also if there's no door there is no need for wiper/washer to work.

  4. #4Mad Mot2022-12-02 19:58

    Serial number is CAT0299DLGTC01436. Windshield and door are there That's why I wanted the wiper and sprayer working. You can't start it with the arm bares raised. I do have to hold the override button to start it. It's been to several Cat dealers for maintenance I didn't mention the wiper situation though So there is a switch that prevents the loader from operating if the door is open? Makes sense I guess it could be bad.

  5. #592U 34062022-12-02 20:52

    Switch is right on the door frame, in the same location as the wiper motor if I'm remembering it right.

  6. #6Nige2022-12-03 04:23

    The door safety switch (magnetic type) is #10. To test it follow the wiring away from it and you should find a 3-pin connector. Pull that connector apart and check the continuity on the switch side between the Brown and the Black wires with the door open. There should be continuity. Close the door and you should now have continuity between the Blue and the Black wires with the Brown/Black wires being open circuit. If it does not work as described the switch is bad. Part Number is 378-1007.

  7. #7Mad Mot2022-12-04 11:06

    ok once I got to looking at it I figured out the door side of the switch had been shoved and bent up inside the housing. Once I got it positioned right it all worked as it should. Thank you guys for all your help. I do still have to hit the override switch though to start it. Is that normal?

  8. #8Nige2022-12-04 12:37

    Which switch are you referring to, the hydraulic system interlock override switch.? Post a photo of the switch and the position you have to put it in to get the engine to start. By the sounds of it you could do with an Operation & Maintenance Manual as well. Look online for Cat Publication reference SEBU9084. It’s available for download @ $119 but you might find it on CD for around $70. Try https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/servicemanualpro