Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259D fault codes

Apartlow5 ยท 2022-11-30 15:09

Looking for a description and troubleshooting for codes 3658-2 and 2352-0. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2022-11-30 15:25

    A Serial Number for the 259D would be a good start. There are 9 different models to choose from.

  2. #2Apartlow52022-11-30 15:36

    CAT0259DAFTL11051

  3. #3Nige2022-11-30 17:01

    Nothing coming up based on Serial Number or model. Well actually there are but they make no sense for a CTL machine. Can you post a couple of photos of the Advanced Display which is where I assume you're seeing these Codes. NOTE: Under forum rules you need to make at least 3 posts before you are permitted to upload photos, so you need to make one more post before you will be able to do that.

  4. #4Apartlow52022-11-30 17:03

    I will get those photos to you shortly

  5. #5Apartlow52022-12-01 14:15
  6. #6Nige2022-12-01 14:54

    OK, that makes more sense. From the top: - 3242-3 - Aftertreatment 1 DPF Intake Gas Temperature : Voltage Above Normal 3246-0 - Aftertreatment 1 DPF Outlet Gas Temperature : High - Most Severe (3) 3252-0 - Emissions Deterioration 523601-0 - Exhaust Gas Temperature : High - Most Severe (3) The troubleshooting for the 1st one is the attached Passive Analog Sensor Test. For the other three it's the "High EGT" Test. Both are attached. I would suggest to do the sensor test first and see what it shows up. I'll send you an electrical Schematic. You're probably going to need it.

  7. #7Apartlow52022-12-01 14:58

    Awesome thank you

  8. #8Nige2022-12-01 15:28

    I'll be honest I think fixing the problem with the Intake Gas Temperature sensor might well solve the other issues because all three of them depend on two sensors measuring the difference between inlet and outlet temperatures. If the inlet temp sensor is not working then that buggers up everything.

  9. #992U 34062022-12-01 15:35

    A common point of failure I've seen is the engine harness gets cooked where it plugs into the sensor wiring between the valve cover and DPF as well as right along where the short pipe out of the DPF runs up into the stack. If troubleshooting the intake gas temperature fault indicates a wiring issue that'd be the first place I'd look.

  10. #10Nige2022-12-01 15:49

    From the sensor test procedure - " Note: Diagnostic codes for a short circuit or an open circuit are most commonly caused by an engine harness routing near a connector. Refer to Special Instruction, REHS7774 for more information on repairing the jumper harness."