So, i'd like to have a ready setup if I get stuck and need to get myself out, assuming the worst case... a dead machine. My dead weight is about 12K includIng an installed attachment. I'm thinking of a 12,000 lb Warn mounted on a steel frame which I then would chain to one side of the CAT (front or back) with the winch cable running to a snatch block and then back to the other side of the CAT. The snatch block would be chained to the nearest fixed object. Any better ideas out there with respect to rigging or my choice of winch? Thanks....
A 12,000lb winch is more than adequate on a straight pull, I have one on my 16,000 lb machine and never had to use a snatch block. Be careful about using a Warn winch, you can't dead pull against the brake without damaging the brake, learnt that lesson the hard way and over here the brake costs $1000. Try to fine a winch with a pinion gear setup.
Thanks, Tones... Any winches you would recommend?
Check out the Superwinch HW series. 12,000lber under 2 1/2 grand. I'm not recommending them, just the drive system maybe better than what Warn uses. Tow operators over here with tilt tray trucks have had the same failures with Warn winches resulting with runaway cars. They have changed to this type of winch.
Many thanks for the heads up