Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rim Bead slippage????

watglen ยท 2012-11-07 20:31

Check this out. Never seen this before. This is my first try with youtube....hope it works. http://youtu.be/swHmz8gJDoY Kinda give a whole new meaning to the phrase "spinning your wheels" Ken

Replies12
  1. #1norite2012-11-07 20:43

    I assume tire is flat and jacked up or aupported by the bh stabilizer?

  2. #2watglen2012-11-07 21:04

    Uhm, no. That tire worked all day and is still working. The operator reversed off the edge of undisturbed soil into soft wet fill. The hoe sank a foot or so. He was trying to climb forward up and out. That didn't work, so we had to use the hoe to lift it out. No biggy, but seeing the rim spin was like nothing we had ever seen before. My first thought was it must have a tube, but it would have ruined the tube in the process, so it must be tubeless.

  3. #3norite2012-11-08 00:33

    Now that is weird, I wonder how the bead can stay sealed to the rim to hold air and yet be so loose that the wheel can turn inside of the tire. I would have bet the tire had to be flat. Is the tire the proper size and type for that rim?

  4. #4robin yates uk2012-11-08 03:07

    never seen this before either, ask the tyre manufacturer about this

  5. #5watglen2012-11-08 04:54

    Its a JCB backhoe originally equipped with 16.9-24 (if i recall). Couldn't find any of those for replacement, so these are 17.4-24. Tire has 35-40psi. Its a weird one.

  6. #6RocksnRoses2012-11-08 05:22

    I have had it happen on a wheel loader, just after we repaired a puncture. We used that tyre goo on the beads to seal them when pumping it up. I was pushing, but didn't seem to be going anywhere, then I realised that tyre was slipping on the rim, it was a tubless tyre. After a while, the goo dried out and the tyre gripped the rim. RnR.

  7. #7d9gdon2012-11-08 07:33

    Had it happen on a 140G blade after they put a new tire on with tire grease. I just aired it up to 75 pounds and worked it a while. It stopped spinning inside then.

  8. #8chroniekon2012-11-08 12:50

    The 17.4 tires have a circumference that's about 3/4" more than the 16.9 rims so they're not going to 'grip' the rim like they should. I'm wondering if you could do like the drag racers do and put screws through the rim and into the bead of the tire?

  9. #9cps2012-11-08 13:31

    Never seen that before, that is weird!

  10. #10tireman2012-11-08 17:42

    First of all, the circumference of the tire in no way, shape or form affects the bead diameter or how it seats on the wheel.The 16.9 and 17.5(not 17.4) denote the tires section width, not diameter or circumference. The size of the rear backhoe tire(at least every one I ever saw) would be 17.5L-24. And yes, if it had a tube in it it would've ripped off the valve stem. The tire was either recently mounted(with the correct vegetable oil based lube/soap) or was mounted using a petroleum based grease for lube. If that's the case, the tire will not last.

  11. #11chroniekon2012-11-08 19:23

    I stand corrected. I was thinking that was the bead/wheel diameter.

  12. #1261BG2012-11-08 20:55

    Ive had it happen on a 992G with a 45/65 45 tire. It was even on the front which are inflated to 115lbs. Doing my circle check I noticed that rim looked odd with black dust around it. I had a truck driver watch it as I worked, sure enough he said the tire was spinning in the rim! Tire co. showed up & all they did was let some of the air out of it & then re inflated it. That tire had recently been replaced & they figured that with the fresh tire lube that was all it was. The tire guy said hes seen it before as well...