Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ripper position when not in use

Rustyshacklford · 2025-12-30 21:22

A friend and I were having a discussion the other day about how we stow the rippers on a bigger tractor (9, 10 ,11) when not in use. And it got me wondering how does everyone like to stow theirs? I said I like mine shank in towards the tractor my reasons are I can see better, the tip seems higher, and it “feels” more balanced. He likes his tip out towards the back. I know this question is more preference, but I’m just curious how everyone else stows their ripper.

Replies12
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-12-31 03:02

    I think it depends on if you might need to use it.

  2. #2JaredV2025-12-31 08:19

    In the little bit of time I've been on an 8, it seemed to make sense to keep it tucked in close but then I was building logging road where there's lots of stuff to get it hung up on if you don't. I suppose on big relatively open, flat cuts that's not such a consideration.

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-12-31 18:28

    I saw a video where the ripper shank was backwards and used when backing up for the next pass. I don't know if that would be hard on the machine or not. I think it might be hard on the final drives.

  4. #4Rustyshacklford2025-12-31 18:43

    That’s interesting. I don’t think that’d work very well for hard or deep ripping.

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-12-31 19:32

    I was thinking it would put a lot of downward force on the final drives.

  6. #6Tones2025-12-31 20:28

    Dozers are faster in reverse so that takes away all the torque advantages compared ripping going forward.

  7. #7Rustyshacklford2025-12-31 21:25

    Plus if you put the shank in while ripping it pulls the weight of the machine down to gain in traction as well.

  8. #8chidog2025-12-31 21:27

    Must be talking about 4 barrel rippers? Ripper GET towards the tractor, especially if clearing.

  9. #9chidog2025-12-31 21:31

    Any load pulled on a dozer in reverse, will pull at the top of the tracks and compress the recoil spring, so doing that is just ignorant, stupidness. That is why using a stump splitter on the rear is an art form.

  10. #10nicky 68a2026-01-05 17:01

    As said allready,ripper tooth towards tractor. A good tip is to not have the top two pistons fully extended though incase you reverse into some big lump on the night shift. It happens.

  11. #11Catsparky12026-01-06 03:10

    If you are wondering about the backwards ripping it is in soil with loose rock . Also they are pushing 57s not 51s I have worked with McCoy and sons where you would rip with multi shank while pushing 57s or 666s in that type of soil Push pulls are four engine burning fuel . A 10 pushing 57s is 3 motors drinking the fuel depending on soil type but you still pay two operators . In Socal you use 5130s and 777s to make off ramps . It is a unique place to move earth . 11 push cats are common here so are those crazy slope boards . Granite proper is prevalent and extended ripper shanks tearing at it well we do that too . You do what you do as fast as possible to make that coin . If you can shave off time to make millions than that dozer gets punished and its cheaper to rebuild it for the sake of making money . All of them do this ACI , Rasmussen , Sukut , Granite , Kiewit etc ! if we get in the way back machine CW Poss , Ebensteiner , Chillotcte , Collette , Western , Morrison , Disilva Gates , Pinnick , Independent , They all did some crazy outside thinking to move earth and make money YO !!!!!!!!

  12. #12Catsparky12026-01-06 03:24

    Im sorry I forgot Yeager and Mitzel .