Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ripper tooth spacing

Welder Dave · 2023-10-17 00:20

I want to use my newly acquired ripper to loosen the hardpan clay on my MX track so water will soak in rather than just pool. The ripper has 3 shanks and I'm wondering what is the best spacing to use? I currently have a tooth in the middle and the other 2 at the outside corners. I don't need maximum disturbance of the soil on top. I thought maybe moving the outside shanks in or even doing that and not using the middle tooth. Hoping someone has experience with ripping/subsoiling for better drainage.

Replies5
  1. #1Razorsedge20032023-10-21 19:40

    I’d think that spacing you have there is best for hard packed clay. To close and it will either stop you or push like a dozer blade. Are these spots in the track or the infield areas? I’d think if you ripped in the track that it would turn to soup when it rains.

  2. #2Shimmy12023-10-21 21:54

    The only way to stop pooling on hard packed clay is slope. Everything you rip will soak up the water.

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-10-22 00:03

    We're putting a slope too. Ripping the hardpan to improve drainage is the same as using a subsoiler to improve drainage in farm land. Fields that have been rototilled also require deep ripping every 5 or so years to break up the hard under layer. 15+ years of riding and driving on the track really packs it. Working the top 6 inches doesn't do anything to loosen the hardpan underneath. Will try it this fall and see how drainage after the frost comes out goes.

  4. #4Razorsedge20032023-10-29 08:57

    Your correct. I was picturing a low spot that gets ripped and rode on all the time. It would turn to soup but if it sets after ripping for the winter it should work.

  5. #556wrench2023-10-29 10:52

    I would think wide spacing would be best so the hard stuff is less likely to pull up in big chunks or slabs for what you want to accomplish