Hey guys I have some nasty ledge on my property that I keep hitting while mowing. I’ve been contemplating getting a skid steer and a rock hammer to bust these up a bit but then I just thought maybe I could put one on my backhoe? Couple questions. Anybody done this? Recommendations? Where do I grab power beyond on that machine? Thanks
Welcome to the Forums TJ! Glad to have you. Question - does your 510 have aux hydraulics run to the end of the boom?
Nope, not yet. wondering where I’d pull it from?
Not a wrench bender by any means but for a machine that old it may be cost prohibitive to had aux hydros. A skid steer with hammer may be a more viable/economical option depending on your budget. How much rock are we talking about? Rental is a great option, especially for hammers.
Yes, I think that would be the right option to take. By the time you price out the hammer and also the hydraulic work you have a lot of time in a rental. If this stuff is going to be very durable I would get a medium-sized excavator and hammer for a long weekend.
I think there’s about 40 rocks sticking up from the size of a softball to couch pillow. I know where they all are but they hide in the grass and I go around 39 of them but hit one. I break 3-4 spindles a year even being careful as I can. I’ve dug quite a few up. Some are 3 x 3 and up from there. I’ll look at rental pricing. Just curious who’s gone the backhoe rock breaker route.
I don't think you could put something together for less than $5000. Go flag them all and rent something.
There are lots of options, depending on the rock type, burning them to crack them, or wedges and hammer drill, or hydraulic cement/dexpan to reduce the size. If you want a hammer, then the hydraulic hookup know how is the easy part, that's a closed center system so you can tee in before and after the backhoe valve and run full size lines to the breaker. There is no "power beyond" needed with that system. The actual lines will be some work and money. Not to mention the fun of a hammer. If this is all you'd use the hammer for, you might even run the hammer off the bucket tilt plumbing, and not be able to power tilt it, wouldn't be the end of the world.
Welcome to HEF, TempletonJDGuy ! Have you considered digging them out ? Tooo big to dig out ? Dig a big hole next to them and buy them deep. I have buried a lot of big tree stumps that way.
yes just enough power to roll them in the new spot. I have dug out a lot of stuff I cannot possibly pick up. Getting my own hammer would be about last on my choices, I know what a functioning hammer costs. Some things you are better off renting, unless you are really in the hammering business. I rented this hammer for our 35 mini for ~$700 for a week if I recall correctly. I can get the 35 mini for another $1000 if I did not have one. What you are describing is a 1 day job if you locate and mark it all in advance. The hammer was 200 and a mini another 350.
Some of the stones are washing machine size, some are as big as the shed I imagine. I’ve dug out quite a few but lots of ledge as well. I bit the bullet and bought a ctl to run the hammer and do other chores. I appreciate the responses!