Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

rock finger

groundloop ยท 2010-09-23 11:23

I have a ford 555e with a 2 foot buckek with rock teeth. I cann't dig some spotts on my farm because of very hard shell rock. I have seen rock fingers that replace the bucket I have also seen ones that weld to the back of the bucket on big hoes but have never seen on on a smaller hoe. Do they make them for backhoes? Any one ever made there own ? got any pictures? Any other idea to dig though the shell? I am trying to dig road ditches and just have a couple harder areas thanks Chris

Replies3
  1. #1El Hombre2010-09-25 12:00

    My land has that tough first couple of feet, then it's easier. I'm on volcanic ash, and the air and water turn it into a low grade concrete. I used a 12" bucket on a 555, the stock 18" wouldn't touch it. Find a softer spot and dig down and pull the bucket up thru the hard stuff, you'll just make a lot of dust trying to dig down thru it. That rock tooth is also known as a frost tooth, break thru the frozen ground until you get to easier digging. I've seen them in catalogs, were pretty pricey, Ebay?

  2. #2Singletree2010-09-25 23:36

    I bought a Vail ripper last year to help dig through frost and ditch through some bed rock. I am very happy with it. http://vailproducts.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/t2.asp?docid=640&DocName=Case Rip-N-Pin

  3. #3willie592010-09-26 22:01

    West Virginia is typical coal country rock, mostly sandstone, shale, and limestone. Most likely your getting into some limestone, it can be pretty hard to break with typical backhoe bucket. I kinda like the shank ripper on back of bucket posted by singletree, looks like a neat tool.