We are looking for a second Rock Hammer. Have a Kent 40 G that we have been using for years, and now that we have a bigger excavator a Liebherr R 946 LC so in need of a second hammer! The operator is asking for a 12000lb hammer? I feel it might be a bit to heavy? I have done a little research and don't wont to put something to big! Please HELP! Any suggestions are welcome? Thanks in advance Mike
Your operator’s right that the 946 can handle more hammer than the old machine, but a full 12,000 lb unit is at the very heavy end for this size excavator. Industry guidelines and the 946’s weight put the ideal range more in the 6,000–9,000 lb class. That’ll give you a noticeable step up in breaking power without beating up the front end or stability. If you send me your machine serial number and main application, I’ll size a few specific hammer options that are a clean match to your Liebherr. I actually a Liebherr heavy equipment rep.
Nice! its R946 LC vin WLH21150T2C040461 a 2013 i believe
Thanks for sending the serial number. For a 2013 Liebherr R946 LC, which is a 40 to 44 ton machine, the hammer that really fits that size is in the 7,000 to 9,000 lb range. Your Kent 40G already sits right in that sweet spot and is rated for 38 to55 ton carriers, so we know that class behaves well on this excavator. As before going all the way up to a 12,000 lb hammer puts you in the territory of 50 to 70 ton machines, and that’s where you can start putting extra strain on the boom and the undercarriage if it’s used hard. Staying in the right class for the R946 is the safer call. Here are the three solid choices: • Kent KHB 40G: Basically the same size and feel as what you’re running now. It delivers around 6,800 ft-lb per hit and is just a dependable, familiar hammer. • Indeco HP 7000 FS: This one is a step above the Kent. More weight, a bigger tool, and around 7,700+ ft-lb per blow. It breaks rock quicker but still stays within what the R946 is meant to handle. • NPK GH18: Close in weight to the Indeco, but it hits much harder for its size, right around 12,000 ft-lb per blow. It gives you that big-hammer performance without jumping outside the safe range for your machine. All three are built for excavators in the 35 to 60 ton class, so you won’t risk damaging anything as long as the hydraulics match up. Before you cut a check, make sure flow and pressure are confirmed for your exact serial number. One thing that would help narrow it down: Are you doing primary or secondary breaking? And what type of rock are you working in? Happy to point you in the right direction.
Since you’re up in Canada, I can’t quote anything new for you, but there are some really solid Liebherr reps in your area who can get you spec’d into the right hammer. At least now you’ve got a good starting point. If you’re open to a used or reman hammer, I might be able to point you toward a few options without stepping outside my territory. Either way happy to help best of luck.
Thanks Grizz_Equip! I have spent some time pricing different Hammers. This had a Tarmac V3500 I believe witch is a bit out of our price range! Its weight is 7361 lbs with a working class of 12000 lbs and a 175mm chisel bit.
Some of the Hammers I have found is a SB 151, THR 450, JTB 1750, YLB 1750 That are more in our price range. I'm reviewing the specks of these and others, and will look at the ones you suggested! Thinking the specks of the V3500 is somewhat the Goal to look for?
I do have this new supplier who been bugging me, trying to get my branch to take on his companies attachments. I could order one as a tester and pass of those saving to you, only issue is you want have the dealer or service support up in Canada so you be on your own after the warranty. However the price should be more than right
Interesting! Would like to know the name or brand and can see is service is avaliable here?