Could someone here tell me what the average weight is for a yard of crushed rock? I just bought a pretty heavy(19,000 pounds) 5 yard dump truck, and I am trying to figure out how many yards I will be able to legally haul. Thanks
If you are saying that your truck can carry a 19,000 pound load, you should be good for about a six cubic yard load of crushed rock. Not all rock weighs the same amount, and moisture can affect the weight. As a general rule, I would use 3,000 pounds per cubic yard; it's better to estimate high than low. To avoid a ticket, you may want to load up 5 yards for a start and then have it weighed to see how close you are.
More info is needed. What is the wheelbase? What size front axle and tires? I will assume a 15' wheelbase and 12,000 lb front axle and tires that will meet the axle weight, and single rear axle. You can carry 20,000 on the rear axle, and 12,000 on the front axle. Bridge law will allow 40,000 on a 10 through 57 foot 2 axle wheelbase. So you are limited to what the axles can carry and not the bridge, if you have a larger front axle and tires then you can carry more than 32,000. 32,000 - 19,000 = 13,000 of gravel Around here crushed rock weighs about 1.4 tons to the yard, so 2800 lbs. You can haul 4.64 yards at the above specs, but ask your gravel pit what their weights are per yard. If you have a 20,000 lb front axle and 425 tires, then you could carry 40,000 the full bridge. Which would be 21,000 lbs/1.5 tons or 7.5 yards. Link to Oregon weight table 1. http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/motcarr/od/8110.pdf
This may or may not help.
Thanks guys. I.can gross 33,000 on it, for a 14,000 pound payload. I was just curious how many yards that would be.
If it is crushed limestone, you can usually figure about 110 lbs per cu. foot or 2970 lbs per cu. yard. Moisture will play a pretty big roll in weight of crushed rock if it is wet.
You bought a 33,000 GVW truck that has an empty weight of 19,000 LBS?? That is very heavy for a medium duty truck. Are you certain about this empty weight? 7 tons is NOT a lot for a 33,000 GVW truck - because you see, you can only carry about 4.6 yards, if it is wet...... Most 33,000 LBS trucks are fitted with a "6-8" yard body, or at least a "5-7".
I once had a heavy duty International dump truck (4900) with a double frame, 12K front and 23K rear (35K GVW). It had a heavy duty 10 ft bed. It's empty weight was only 15K. What could make your truck weigh 4K more?
Guess I could have explained that it has a self-loader setup on it. About a 1 yard bucket that scoops from the front of the truck, then swings up over the cab to dump in the bed. I am not absolutely sure about the light weight, I was just going by what it says on the drivers door in large letters "tare 18,975". I haven't had a chance to weigh it myself yet as I don't have insurance or registration on it yet. Just picked it up @ an auction last saturday.
That sounds interesting, post some pics when you get it home.
I'll try to get some pictures of it posted on here sometime this weekend. I do have the truck at home, but I leave for work before daylight, and get home after dark in the evening so I haven't had a chance to get any pictures of it yet. I am kind of anxious to try the loader out to see how well it loads itself. Maybe I will get my wife to shoot some video of it in action.
Well -this is right on the money for-an IHC 1900/4900..alhough this is NOT a heavy duty truck. The IHC 2500 series 6-wheeler WAS a heavy truck - but this came with a Detroit or cummins and a Road Ranger - not a single shaft little Spicer, and not the little DT466 medium duty engine. My 1900 also weighs 15,000 and change, this is why I question the 19,000 pound weight. The Int.1900 is a very nice medium duty truck.
That loader on the front could easily weigh four thousand pounds. I'm curious to know how well that works. It sounds a little like a garbage truck that picks up its load in front, raises it over the cab, and dumps in the back. If it works, it might be great for some situations.
sounds like an interesting system hope to see pics soon
Is it ex-military?
No, it is not ex-military. It is ex-CalTrans(California department of transportation).
special tool, you're right - the 4900 is not a heavy duty dump truck. I just meant that it is heavy duty as far as most single axle dumps go since that was the truck talked about in this thread. It had a Road Ranger 10 speed which helped out a lot with that little DT466.
Is it something like this? The gas company in Birmingham uses this setup on 4900/4300's for gas repairs.
Yes CM1995, mine is very similar to the truck in your picture but mine is a cabover International. I think it being a cabover should help with visability when loading. Very hectic weekend, so I didn't get a chance to get a picture of it.