What grade of rod do I need for a 30 ton 6 inch stroke hollow hyd ram? The ram is 13 inches long on average how long would you get the rod? Is there a good place to purchase them? Thanks Jerry
One piece won't be able to do everything. I use 1 1/2" grade8 and have pieces from 2' to 10' Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
where do you get them from? I was looking at a 2' and then would probably buy more as needed! Jerry
http://www.fastenal.com/web/product...pcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine= is this something that would work? I am not familiar with those grade numbers what is that?
We used 1" fine thread grade 8 redirod with a 30 ton head. Never had a problem. Buy the rod in 10' lengths and cut it as you need it. Soon enough you will have a full set. Remember to use grade 8 nuts and hard washers with it. We used this in both a manufacturing and field service plant day in and day out. regards d.d.
B7 rod is the approximate equivalent of grade 8. Look at the tensile strength, should be 125,000 psi. McMaster-Carr shows Grade 8 rod, 150K psi - http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=rw49vf http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=rw48wj I hope one of those links works, McMaster's site is hard to link to.
still learn'n, go to tomv's thread "some work pictures" he uses his rams a lot and I had asked some questions regarding this subject and he uses the b7 if I remember correctly.. besides if your really "still learn'n" that thread is worth every moment you spend in it....TIO
I use what's called "Dewey bar", it's used a lot in the heavy machinery moving business. I've had to build adapters ect for it but it works good and I had several pieces given to me. I've got a lot of Grade 8 fine thread redi-rod that I've used but it seemed like the threads were always getting banged up and it seemed like I was running a die over it every time I had to use it.
Any more info on this? I googled but got nothing.
I have also used acme threaded rod on occasion it has the square threads and is made for repeated use. It is what is used on the carriage if lathes and such. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Try "deweydag" if I remember correctly that is how it is spelled. I used it a couple times while post tensioning precast bridges. You would take 50 foot long pieces of large threaded rod and a 150-200 ton through hole ram and stretch the rod then run down a holding nut. it would actually suck together 4 50 ton or better bridge sections dragging them across the footings, scary and amazing!!!TIO
Just googled it "dywidag" I think this is what excavator is talking about.....TIO
thanks for the replies! the McMaster link works and the high strength rod in 1 1/4 comes in 3, 6, and 12 ft lengths would these be the sizes ya'all would get? I could surely cut them if to long? I really think what I would do 3 and 6 ft would be what I would need! TIO I look at tomv thread EVERY time he posts something new and yours and hatches and willie atco :falldownlaugh !! So I try to learn everything I can!! I work at a small excavating company and I do mechanic work, heavy haul, pull end dump, run equipment (sumtimes) and whatever else the boss has me do and I really don't have to many guys that I can go to on some of these questions so you guys help me a lot and I appreciate it a lot!!!!!!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Consider Acme threaded rod. It looks like the leadscrew on a lathe or the ram on a bottle jack. McMaster has the rod in B7 and has many types of nuts. http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpose-acme-rods/=rwbz8y And yes you can cut the rod no problem. Abrasive wheel or hand hacksaw.
I have a 20 ton enerpac ram that I use for most jobs and 1"-8 grade 8 allthread from mcmaster carr. I ordered 2 6' pieces and have only cut up one so far. Be sure to order grade 8 flange nuts to go with you rod size. If I'm not mistaken, lengths under 8' are shipped UPS without extra charges. Mcmaster Carr is cheaper than Fastenal and I usually have it the next day.
Sounds like I will have to put in an order to McMaster! Tom V said I could get B7 or grade 8 threaded rod from MSC, MCMASTER-CARR, or local fastener supplier! this forum is better than google!!!:IMO Thanks guys Jerry
I also double the nuts prevents stripping the threads