Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rod repair????

Speedpup ยท 2009-01-29 11:52

I need to repair few rods on my Lull that has nicks. I see it can be done on site but no one near me does it. I called few local guys and they say they metalize it. I ask what that was and they said they polish the nicks and fill with epoxy. Any tips on this process is appreciated. Any particular experience with a certain epoxy to use? Thanks john

Replies7
  1. #1surfer-joe2009-01-29 13:02

    I tried repairing nicked or scored rods a long time ago and found the process to be a waste of time and money. The repair material, like one called Belzona Molecular Metal, only stays in place a brief time, then comes off and enters your machines hydraulic system, where it goes on to create more problems. Even rods repaired by flame spraying and rechroming tend to do the same thing. If a rod is damaged to the point it needs repair, I found it best to just get a new one as it was cheaper in the long run considering down time, lost production, and possibility of further damage. The new rod also carries a warranty. Many nicks or rough spots can be smoothed up by careful filing and sanding. So long as there is no excessive oil leakage or seal damage, smaller items can be taken care of in this fashion and cause no further problem for a long time. But, my machines were always in constant high production work for contractors or miners where they had to produce dependably. If a machine is working for the occasional user who uses the thing gently, a patch may work out for a long time. A person with a machine in this situation just has to consider the risk and his own willingness to chance it.

  2. #2Speedpup2009-01-29 16:07

    new rod is 1895+ shipping so that is not happening on a 1985 machine I guess I'll drop in new seals. It has been like this since I got the machine in 1985. Guess it will eat a tad of dust every time in and out. Good point on it going into the system so i will probably skip filling it. They small steering cylinder may be worth getting a new rod made for if it isn't huge dollars.

  3. #3Construct'O2009-01-29 23:06

    Might check out some welding or machinist shops.A friend of mine builts new rods.Cut off the ends if the pins are still fairly tight.Buys new chrome rod the size you need,turns and rethread the one end and welds the hitch(pin) end back on.It is a good cost saver. He has done some rods as big as 2" rods.What size is yours? Good luck:usa

  4. #4swampdog2009-01-30 01:18

    When I was looking for a loader last fall, I came across one that had a long, deep gouge repaired on one of the loader rods. If the owner had not pointed it out, I would not have spotted the repair. A professional welder filled in the gouge with some kind of special rod. The welder did an excellent job, including at cleaning off any excess weld material. The only evidence of the weld was a dark line along the edge of the weld. You might want to talk to a welder with experience in this type of repair.

  5. #5Speedpup2009-01-30 11:27

    Doesn't the welding mess up the chrome finish?

  6. #6Nac2009-02-08 17:32

    Where in NY are you? American hose & hydraulics is the play I use they have a big shop in NJ but also have a shop in the Bronx and in CT I think

  7. #7Speedpup2009-02-08 20:31

    about 50 miles east of NYC on LI.