Acquired a new project, not that I need anymore but everyone needs a Swiss Army knife! Straight 410 Deere John, has 12" and 30" dig buckets, overall well worn and extremely farmerized, just the way I like... Pretty straight though! Hadn't run in 12 years, all fluids look good, nothing overfull, stuck a battery in yesterday, damn thing flashed right up! Runs good, little blowby, has reverse but no forward, may be digging into the forward clutch pack, we'll see. Hyd have little flow and no pressure, pump was turning so will see what I find once I get into it. They were using it with only reverse for years, even stuck the rear tires on backwards! The front bucket has a big piece of the bottom torched out, guessing they needed that piece of steel urgently and couldn't use the bucket anyway?? Beats me? hah! I got it for next to nothing, traded a couple days labour repairing his other tractors and equipment. I'll update with some pictures of the past "repairs" that have been done, quite entertaining! Should get it home in a few weeks, but I'm not going to say anymore about that. Safety police would have a hayday.
looking forward to pictures
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to pictures.
Well I won't be bringing the old girl home for a while yet, way too many RCMP and military police around right now. Loaded her on the trailer and pulled it up out of the bush with a 6415, wish I would have taken pics of that! It's safe in the Meadows on a big ranch, the 110000ha forest fire is only 25km from this location, had to get a permit to go drag it to safety. She should clean up nice!
not a back looking machine
Looks pretty good, but was there extra charge for the tree growing out of the hoe swing?? LOL!! Mike
Finally got the old hoe home, what a gong show, I should have just hired a low boy to haul it but I obviously wasn't in much of a hurry! I decided the trailer it was on in the pic wasn't going to survive the road home (50km of rough forestry roads) a recent customer of mine offered to haul it (for trade) with his triaxle 5th wheel trailer that he has to haul around his Ford 655A. I figured there where no worries. He made it within 10km of my place and proceeded to jackknife on the last corner of the last hill down, it was a bit icy but the guy was in a hurry for some reason, wouldn't listen to me and wouldn't even put chains on.. Oh well, I'm just glad no one was hurt! His truck and trailer are a write off tho... My neighbor (rancher/logger) brought his chained up 648 grapple skidder to help unload the hoe off the trailer and get the wreckage off the road, then he pulled the hoe to my place with the skidder, by far the best way to move it! I wish I had a camera, you dont see that every day! Anyways I've tinkered on it over the last few weeks, got the hydraulics to come alive (electric pump unloader poppet was stuck) removed the hoe as it needs multiple hoses replaced, I plan to get the tractor all fixed first before I tackle the hoe. Going to have to split it, leaking hyd oil out the reverser input seal, dry clutch throwout bearing sounds terrible and have no pressure in fwd, removed the reverser valve to find out was siliconed at some point, quite a mess! It's an early model, 410-b 150378, it has no neutral detent for the reverser, until I pulled the control valve apart I had figured it was just not going into fwd detent, I thought they all had a neutral position on the reverser, learn something new everyday! I'll try to get some pics, there are some interesting modifications on this poor old thing!
Bottomless bucket, strange addition to the swing cyl gland, hopefully not destroyed, nice gate hinge reverser lever, they used the machine in reverse, even swapped the tires backwards.
I just don't understand, how that was the only thing they could think up for the reverser handle.
Must have been a special kind of stupid? I had to do a double take when I first saw it, ***!? Glad I didn't pay F-all for the machine!
That handle was prolly made by the same person that put the tires on backwards. LOL ! Must not have known how to ude the backhoe. How in the world could they push anything or load the FEL bucket ?
All the modifications where made by the same guy, the machine was on a property he was "caretaking" for years. It quit driving forward, judging by the front bucket I would have quit driving forward too! Obviously this guy wasn't capable of fixing the reverser issue so just switched the tires and backed his way around digging holes I guess? When the hydraulic pump quit he abandoned the poor old thing in the bush.
Finally had a spare minute to split the old thing, looks like she's a virgin
LOL, 'Farmerized'!! Fits.
Does it include any grey tape, baling wire, zip ties, rope, etc...……………..
Haha you bet! Don't forget using bent nails instead of cotter pins, and using household electrical wire as rope! It's like the guy was pretending he was 500 miles from the nearest store!
A couple barley sodas after the split and I've got more fully expected carnage... The disintegrated pilot bearing allowed the fwd clutch drum to hang down machining the surfaces on the drum The rear bushing came out with the drum and most likely wore the housing bore... Clutch drum is available but around $2k. If I can get measurements should be able to get it built up/machined. Now to pull the housing and check out the reverse brake and charge pump.
I believe that this fits, "Run it for a Trophy" for the previous owner!! Or in other words run it til it shells out and he pretty well did.
Ohhh my. Awesome thread.
A little more progress.. Rolled the halves back together and split it at the trans, reverse brake is in great shape, the charge pump is in spec also. I cannot find the spec for clearance between the clutch drum sealing surfaces and sleeve bushing. Anyone know? I'm thinking .005-.010"? Also the (input shaft side) clutch surface needs to be resurfaced I believe they are stepped? Need to know that dimension also. Meanwhile I cleaned/inspected and resealed the reverser control valve. Ready to install.