I have a 1940's Rogers Lowboy I am restoring to pull my antique tractors on. It was my grandfathers and was used on our farm for many years. After I started to tear it apart I realized it only had brakes on two wheels! I am tagging it now so I obviously need them on all four. I have found all the brake parts I need except the shoes for those two wheels. I know they are hard to find and impossible to buy new. If anybody has any to sell or knows where to get some that would be wonderful. I will pay whatever it takes to get them. I will include some pictures of what I need after I get them uploaded later. The shoes are stamped U21 and 4722 separately. It has no spring brakes, service brakes only. Thanks, Cole
Try this picture Cole
I have an older Hyster lowboy and did the brakes and had a hard time finding break parts.Went to local truck mechanic and he looked at some aftermarket shoes and got them to work.They was glued on liners not rivets. So maybe you can fine some glue on liners, if to large cut them to fit and glue them on.I haven't had any troubles with the glued on lines.What i like was that as they wear the rivets won't be cutting into the drum if you wait to long to change them. My shoe liners looked a lot like yours.Good luck
Those look like Standard Forge, 12 1/4 brakes. They are an early model with cast shoes, and there is a conversion to the later model fabricated shoes that also has a conversion for the anchor pin mounting. I had a Landoll that had some of those on it, some had ben converted already. When I did a brake job on it I had to convert them all over to the later style, but held on to the cast shoe tables, but if I didn't throw them in the scrap pile last summer, they are now buried under about 4 feet of snow. Parts are available. George
Construt'O- I wish I was only missing the liners, I am missing the whole shoes. George, Where did you get the conversion from? I have dealt with Utility Trailer and a few other truck places and they all are clueless. If you can get to yours, I'm guessing unlikely, I'd love to buy them. Thanks, Cole
I originally bought my parts thru a local spring shop, but they did a lot of work on heavy duty trucks. The parts were from Euclid, but my understanding is that they were sold to another company, I have no idea who right now. Then I was getting my parts thru my local Freightliner dealer, they also had a large trailer repair division, and could cross any Euclid numbers over to whoever their supplier was. I have an old Euclid parts catalogue that is at least 20 years old, I could look up what I wanted, give them the numbers, etc, and they would then cross things over. If I can figure out how to do it, I will scan the pages for these brakes in and post it for you. As far as the old shoes, they laid around in the scrap pile for 20 years or so, then when I was shipping off scome scrap to the junkie, I think I threw those in with the rest. I did pull some old brake drums and springs out, but like I said, right now they are under 4 feet of snow. I will let you know if I ever find them. George
George, Scanning the pages would be great. That is the main problem Utility and the other companies are having, their books don't go back that far. They have nothing to cross reference with so they tried the best part numbers they could think of out of the new books but non of them were a close enough match. My email is [email protected] if you want to send it to that. Thanks, Cole
Pages sent, hope they work. George
My man just had a book for different trailer brakes.We went by the size (measurements ) of the shoe liners and got some that was the size i had.They had changed the springs and cam roller,and you had to take out the pivot stud and use theres for the new shoes.It didn't look the same ,but when we got them they work fine,Came with shoes,pivot stud,springs and cam rollers.Had to heat up the stud to get it to break loose.Sorry not much help.Good luck
cphillips, I have a Rodgers Lowboy that we refurbished and I got everything we needed at AA Wheel & Truck Supply in Kansas City, MO 800-486-4335.
Interesting project cphillips . I love those old lowboys from the 1940's & 50's . Hope you can share a picture when you get it all done. If all else fails give these folks a shout www.brakesupply.com I've sent them several projects mostly re lining . They have an impressive operation and I'm satisfied if they could not find the proper shoe they could possibly make a new one. Oh yeah.. that's another option. If you have a good fab shop in the area they could possibly build a set of shoes for you. Good luck with it.
brake update Just wanted to let everybody know I now only have one wheel that needs brake shoes. With the information George gave me I was able to buy two late model shoes and with a little modification I was able to make them work. The shop I bought them from is trying to get two more of them. Keeping my fingers crossed that they can get them, the guy at the parts counter wasn't too sure they were available anymore. Cole
Brake shoes I have one set of brake shoes #S-12 1/4-4 1/2-M. 1/2" of the liners are on them.
Don C. Can you email me a picture of the shoes you have. I have since gotten the trailer up and running but I wouldn't mind having a spare set of shoes if your willing to part with them. [email protected] Thanks, Cole
Call Mike Collins at Haldex Brake Columbia,SC 803-647-1308