Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s the best of the 4?

House2Home ยท 2014-01-21 20:16

Trail King, Hudson, Talbert or Towmaster? I got a quote for $11k for the Hudson 10 ton, and $13k for the Towmaster. I've been told that Trail King's bigger trailers are by far some of the best around. And he said he thinks that the Towmaster's are better in the smaller ones like the 10 and 20 ton. I've seen the railroad uses a bunch of Hudson around here that they lease and I've heard good things about Talbert to so I'm stuck. What would you guys buy as for a 10 ton with electric breaks?

Replies18
  1. #1barklee2014-01-21 22:02

    Eager Beaver makes a really good tag trailer. We have a Hurst 20t trailer and its been good.... i think we bought it in 1996 and its been pretty trouble free and i know at the time they were the least expensive spec for spec. I know Trail King builds really good trailers and i cant say ive ever heard anyone say a bad thing about their equipment trailers. Not any experience with the others mentioned.

  2. #2heymccall2014-01-21 23:13

    Have/ had 4 Towmaster trailers. One came with an alignment issue, but, 15 years later, still have three of them (one was stolen). Mine are all 5 or 6 ton. One is only three years old. I couldn't beat the deal Cleveland Brothers gave me on the 6 tonner, three years ago. Perhaps it's worth an inquiry to them?

  3. #3CM19952014-01-22 06:57

    Welcome to the Forums House2Home! :drinkup I have owned a couple of trailers and my vote would be for the TrailKing.

  4. #4DoyleX2014-01-22 07:10

    Under 10 ton Towmaster. Over 10 ton You cant beat a TK. Built on a arched beam.

  5. #5House2Home2014-01-22 13:05

    Cleveland brothers is who I got the quote off of for the Towmaster. Groff equipment is the dealer for the Hudson, but I'd rather not deal with Groff. When I was first looking at purchasing an excavator, I went to Groff and said what I was looking for and how much I wanted to put down. I was only 28, I think the guy thought I was blowing smoke up his @ss because he never called me back. The second time I stopped again I was assured I would be called back. Never was. So I started looking at Cat equipment and my rep how done me extremely well so I'd rather throw any business possible his way so he gets the commission. What I was trying to justify is if the Towmaster really is worth the $2k+ more then the Hudson. I know Hudson builds a solid trailer, but I don't know enough about them to say yea this is why the one is better then the other. maybe its the type of electric brake, maybe its better welding, maybe its a better suspension....I just don't know so that's why I was asking for others experience and reasoning. I just noticed a used trailer is good shape that's 10+ years old seem to sell for half to 3/4 the cost of new depending on how well its been taken care of. I just hate relying on others and assuming they never abused their equipment. Because of this I'd rather buy new. Thanks!

  6. #6heymccall2014-01-22 15:11

    Don't kid yourself. None of the manufacturers build axles or suspensions. You're buying weld quality, paint quality, and wiring quality. And, stay away from Cam Superline for wiring issues and paint durability.

  7. #7House2Home2014-01-22 16:16

    I know they don't build certain parts themselves. What I meant is one might use a brand that builds a better component then another brand.

  8. #8House2Home2014-01-29 18:58

    bump.... thought for sure id get more imput off here!

  9. #9monster762014-01-29 19:14

    only brands ive had experience with are eager beaver and trail king both re solid and wouldn't hesitate to purchase any of those two if i was in the market for a new trailer

  10. #10House2Home2014-01-30 00:10

    right now im actually leaning toward an eager beaver, which wasn't even one of my original choices. But I really like how the d rings swivel 360degrees and how the decking is held on with a bolt and washer rather then screwed onto the beam. and having solid beams the whole way through seems like it would make it stronger but I don't know much about trailers. unfortunately no matter which dealer you go to, they are going to push their brand as being the best which makes it kind of hard to decide.

  11. #11nedly052014-01-30 05:38

    We have an eager beaver 20XPT that we bought new in 1996. Its been a great trailer, built well, sealed wiring harness. Only trouble we had with ours was brake issues that were caused from it being under water during a flood when it was 5 months old. As if it wouldn't be bad enough for the trailer to be under water, our driver left the glad hands apart and dangling, so water got into the whole air system. It took a long time to get it all cleared up. I thought I had a wiring issue once, got the section of whip from the dealer, turned out it was the plug. No regrets with eager beaver, the cost more but seem to be worth it.

  12. #12House2Home2014-01-30 14:26

    Yea my delivered cost is $15k even for a 10 ton with electric brakes, before taxes. Just a lot to bite off at once for a trailer for me.

  13. #13johndeere1232014-01-30 20:28

    I'm not to sure about the smaller trailers, but the larger Talberts I have seen had some pretty serious wiring issues. I know of two floats that needed complete harnesses within 3 years of new. Maybe the smaller trailer in a less harsh environment will be alright though.

  14. #14House2Home2014-04-14 16:30

    bump...any other opinions on the Towmasters? specifically the t-20?

  15. #15stumpjumper832014-04-14 16:50

    I have a 95' towmaster tk40 and I like it. When its time for a new one, I would buy another. Ive had several trailers in the past couple years. I started with a 14k b&b skid steer tilt, but hauling a 13k pound excavator was too much, and it was starting to show, and by then I had stepped up to a larger truck, and had more equipment to haul so I bought a eager beaver triaxle 23k pound bumper pull... that was a mistake. In one year I replaced 9 tires I believe. Sidewall goose eggs & it would occasionally break wheel studs and throw tire and rim. I never went over 60 with the trailer, and avoided loaded turns as much as possible. Weight wise the heaviest I ever loaded it was 18k pounds of dozer. The frame of the trailer was solid, no issues there, its just it has mobile home style tires and they were junk. Then I bought a tk40 and all my tire issues went away. I've loaded the crap out of it too, and old d-6, log skidders, if it fits on the deck it rides. I would try to convince you to go to a tk40, but that's just been my experiences.

  16. #16House2Home2014-04-14 20:30

    thanks. I really did want to go for a 20 ton but I just couldn't afford it right now. the FET tax was the big killer for me right now. I figure maybe next summer I can pick one up, I'll still have a need for the t-20 either way I think. I just cant justify paying so much for a used one that has been beat up and not taken care of. hope I made a good decision as I left my CAT rep talk me into the Towmaster and out of the Eager Beaver.

  17. #17Jim Dandy2014-04-14 21:31

    I have 2003 20 ton eager beaver. It has been a good trailer. I have ordered a Towmaster 25 ton triaxle ( front axle is air lift) from my cat dealer. Should be here in a month or so. Based on what I hear the Hudson should not be mentioned as atop brand. I don't know that from personal experience, though. I have both the roto rings and welded on d rings on the eb and don't really see any advantage to the roto rings. My eb has the ramps with wood decking on them. Get the angle iron ramps as the wood is heavy, slippery, and you are constantly replacing the wood or reattaching it. I think/ hope you and I will be ok with the tow masters. Did they tell you 75 days to make it for you?

  18. #18House2Home2014-04-14 21:35

    yea I got the angle iron on the beavertail. the roto rings seemed nice but reality is people have been using regular rings that don't rotate for a long time so it might be a nice feature but I can live without. they told me 2-3 months but I lucked out, they happened to have a 2013 model sitting on the lot where they stage/store things so they told me about a week to have it shipped up here, get it inspected and do the title transfer.