Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Roof mounted A/C evaporator needed

Cmark · 2021-02-01 17:40

Hi all. We are trying to retro-fit a Cat 299C JSP prefix with an external roof mount A/C evaporator, but we are having trouble finding one. There are plenty of roof mount self contained A/C units and also internally mounted evaporators available, but it's not what we're looking for. Anyone have any leads?

Replies9
  1. #1petepilot2021-02-02 13:04

    I have a kysor roof mt. unit from 1967 .Just a lead

  2. #2crane operator2021-02-02 18:10

    We used red dot on one we installed in a crane. Compressor on the engine and roof mounted on the lower cab. https://www.reddotcorp.com/ https://user-qqe34dh.cld.bz/WD-2019-Flip

  3. #3heymccall2021-02-02 19:51

    Anything here able to be engineered in? https://www.rencool.com.au/internal-cabin-evaporator-units/ I've got to believe that you truly mean evaporator, not condenser.

  4. #4heymccall2021-02-02 19:53
  5. #5Willie B2021-02-02 19:56

    I have a GMC Top Kick with 3208 Cat. The sheaves on the front of the engine are V belt. I wouldn't know if it is possible to convert to serpentine belt system. There is NO way another V belt could be added. I have a 200 amp alternator. I want an electric AC unit. Is there a manufacturer? I see them on heavy machinery.

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-02-02 20:39

    That's easy Cmark --Two words in the name {Red Dot} they have been in the cab mounted HVAC business for years. You can find a dealer here. https://www.reddotcorp.com/#:~:text...er,installed on the roof of the vehicle’s cab .

  7. #7Cmark2021-02-02 21:12

    Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, yes, I mean evaporator. The C series has the evap mounted under the floor and separate to the cab. It's a poor design, fills up with dirt and needs regular cleaning out. The customer has got the sadz and wants it roof mounted. Red dot don't have an exterior evaporator. Their roof mount units are all evap and condenser combined. The one heymccall posted (thank you) is the only one I've found and it's a bit big and too expensive. Since first posting, the decision has been made to put the existing unit in a metal box and relocate it to the roof. I'll take a few photos if anyone is interested.

  8. #8crane operator2021-02-02 22:28

    The only other one I've been around is DTAC. They make some pretty small stuff that I've seen in some crane cabs. http://www.dtac.com/

  9. #95.9Jon2021-02-03 04:15

    Would like to see what you came up with.