This might be simple for someone. On the pump there is a place that two wires connect to slide onto should say. What are they for?
this is it
dbgfc637-44aj
Usually wires to an injection pump are for the fuel pump solenoid. Apply 12v and the solenoid opens.
for both connections?
Yeah, I think there is a coil under that cover that moves a pin to open fuel flow in the pump. Now, exactly how it is wired I don't know. Below is a picture I found on the net of a similar pump and you can see the coil under that cover.
scpumpguy can probably tell you exactly what's up with it.
yeah...he comes around eventually to save the day lol but i think that is my problem! those wires!
Typically both leads for the coil are brought out, just connect one to ground and the other to your "on" wire. That way you can hook a safety switch into the ground side also, for various controls I guess.
Just for fun I would use an ohms meter and check between each one and the housing of the pump. If both show "open" in other words "infinity" that would tell you there is no internal grounding of any component. Then next check the ohms between the two of them. I'm guessing "ohms' will be pretty low indicting they are connected to a coil inside. Then connect one of those terminal to a negative terminal of a batter and the other to the positive and listen for a "click" when you make contact, that would indicate the coil is opening or closing something inside.
I'lll do that.
Isn't the wire hanging somewhere near the pump ?
Does it run now? Or, do you have a problem with shutting it off?
I had a problem with it starting. (without the use of starting fluid) there is 4 wires going that way 2 with a clip that "could" can fit. But I don't know if or which goes where. But I just re-installed the pump. I just pulled the glow plugs going to clean those up while I take a break
The connection ON TOP is the electric shut off.. w the key ON u should have a constant 12v.. The connector on THE SIDE is a cold start solenoid.. it only comes on while starting.. once the engine starts n warms up it drops to 0 volts.. Everything is grounded thru the pump body.. NO NEED to run any grounds.
Glad you showed up, I tried looking online but could not find anything but then I probably would not know it if it bit me on the nose!
Smart money says to JUMP THEM BOTH off the battery.. it’s sittin right there.. lol THEN figure out what’s what, after u get it running. Don’t forget to unplug them when ur done.. or they’ll fry..
Unplug them both? Fry? Ok Im confused. Why unplug if you need them? Im guessing you mean unplug 1?
You have to unplug them when you are through running it, since they won't be on a switch
Yes, that’s what I meant.. if your jumping them both from the battery w alligator clips..