Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 655c rear axle

Rubicon09 · 2020-08-30 22:17

Hello everyone I’m new here and just bought a 1990 ford 655c backhoe. When I looked at the tractor the rear axle fluid didn’t register on the dip stick and the guy said “it’s usually full I just have to add some now and then” we’ll took his word for it ‍♂️ After getting it home I put 5 gallons in it and still nothing on the stick and then I heard a trickling noise and looked underneath to see fluid pouring out of both outer axle seals. I know it’s a huge undertaking to replace those seals so I’m wondering if anyone has any tricks to slow or stop it leaking. I thought about taking the wheel off and maybe tucking some waxy string into the axle seals. I’m not going to be driving it around much at all mainly just using the backhoe so I don’t think I’m going to hurt it but it’s gonna be hard to resell

Replies1
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-08-31 12:00

    If the seals are that bad you need to determine if the bearings need to be replaced. I would never attempt to slow or stop a seal from leaking with any method you described. Seal replacement is the only option.