I'm sure this has been posted (and hopefully answered before); but here goes. Dozer ran fine before doing the below; so NO issues mechanically with the fuel pump itself. I recently replaced the fuel filters on my 68' Case 450 dozer. It has the Roosa Master Injector pump. Being inexperienced (and in a hurry); I did not allow enough time for the fuel to gravity feed into the two filters and started the engine hoping it would pull the fuel thru the system. Naturally, she ran for about 30 seconds before using up all the fuel in the lines and pump and died. I went back and re-opened the bleeder screw on the filter and have made sure NO air is present (I only get a solid stream of fuel coming out). I then cracked the lines right before the injectors and nothing is coming out. Question: how long do I need to turn her over for before I should start seeing fuel? I have read that disconnecting the return line (before the pressure regulator at the pump) and pulling a vacuum can help evacuate the air and pull fuel thru the lines/injectors. Anyone ever have any luck with this method? Just want to reiterate; the pump worked FINE before changing the filters. Is there something else I should be doing to eliminate air from the system? Thanks in advance
OK.. success... I went back and ensured I had fuel at both filters (check).. then cracked the line between filters and pump and saw a few bubbles of air before it gushed fuel (check).. then removed the cover plate (window) on the side of the pump and fuel came out (check).. then went back up to the injectors and cracked the lines just before them (one at a time) and cranked it over.. I finally started seeing very small amounts of fuel.. repeated for each injector (check)… tightened everything back up... tried to start her and saw smoke starting to come out of exhaust (PROGRESS)… battery started to die Finally, with the juice almost gone... asked God for a little help on the last try and BOOM! she fired up ran rough for about a minute or two then started running smooth. Overall > great learning lesson... took longer than expected but oh well, that's life.
Good to read that you figured it out. Your thread may help others that read this.
The early Case machines were not that easy to bleed and needed a full tank of fuel for easy bleeding. I had a 310g when I was young and green and it stopped with what I thought was enough fuel in the tank for it to have run. Long story short, removed the injector pump and was quoted astronomical amount to repair it, decided i would just re-assemble it and hope for the best, put a full tank of fuel in it and it started. Liner seals failed not long after letting water into the sump, but that's another story.
I have a question I aslo have a 1968 450 case crawler I bought it with bad engine in pieces got engine fixed trying. To reasonable something that was taken apart by someone else somewhere else is awful but I have it down to nothing but fuel lines from pump to injectors I have them but can't blow air through them I know there high pressure pipes is there anything else I can us for this
If your trying to blow air thru the lines, from the pump to injectors with your mouth.. it ain’t gonna happen.. U need an air compressor w a rubber tipped blow gun..
You should've asked for God's help first
U wouldn’t have run the battery down if u loosened ALL THE LINES AT THE INJECTORS.. Where the h e double toothpicks that came from is beyond me.!!?? It’s got 1 pumping unit that goes around in circles.. & it feeds fuel/air every time it goes around.. so in fact, your pumping AIR into the cylinders that aren’t loose.. EVERYBODY GOT THAT.??
So make sure that all 4lines are loose at injectors and don't tighten up till there is fuel coming out of them right ?? And with air gun should it be alot of air or just a little compaired to the 140 psi I'm putting in it 2 of the lines I could barely tell anything was going through and 2 I don't think anything at all was going through and I bought this in pieces so I bought new injectors I didn't get any type of return lines other than one from top of pump to tank I've noticed most 188 have Ts on top of injectors running from one on other then teeing into return on top of pump did they make one that didn't have this system on it cause my new I injectors have an Allen set scree in top of them and only return from top of pump or do I need to add this tee system its a 450 that was built between 68 and 69 g188d thanks
Roosa master db pump
Yes u need a bunch of parts.. Did u buy PENCIL INJECTORS.? You’ll be MILES ahead if u can go to a salvage yard and get all the injector return fittings for the injectors AND the lines.. Then ur gonna need the rubber grommets that goes in the nuts… it’s best to buy the grommets new..
Welcome to HEF, outlawjay ! FWIW, which isn't much. When I ran a service truck for a large excavating contractor, I have primed, probably 50 machines a year that ran out of fuel My no fail method was to loosen all of the lines at the injectors and then pressurize the fuel tank with about 5 to 10 PSI of air pressure. Sometimes I could use a rubber tipped air gun and blow thru the vent hole in the tank filler cap. Sometimes I wrapped a rag around the the blow gun to be able to blow into the tank filler opening.