Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Root rake for a crawler loader?

cb1 ยท 2008-08-03 20:24

I am thinking of getting a root rake like pictured for my 125C also pictured. Any thoughts? Also, the 350 Case runs extremely well after changing the shuttle filter and cleaning the pickup screen. Although has many hydraulic leaks, but thats another issue. Thanks, cb1

Replies8
  1. #1rino14942008-08-03 20:47

    We have a Felco pin on root rake four our 977. Meaning that the bucket comes off and the root rake pins on. Works good, we use it for land clearing when building roads.

  2. #2stumpjumper832008-08-03 22:40

    nevermind

  3. #3pushcat2008-08-04 22:12

    What do you need a root rake on a loader for? You got one on it already, the teeth. Just put on some new, more aggressive teeth and there you go. You won't believe how much easier it is to make a cut and more power you have with a good set of teeth.

  4. #4cb12008-08-04 23:39

    I am clearing land, 4 acres for apple trees, 3 acres for a deer food plot. I like the machine for knocking the trees down and hauling some of the stumps away, but I end up with a lot of little roots, brush and clumps etc. If I tip the bucket to scrape with the bucket teeth, it takes to much topsoil with it. If I open the bucket and use it as a dozer, well then I'm pushing everything, etc. I never thought about longer teeth. They currently are no longer that 3 inches max. Do they make bigger ones?, and would it really make that much of a difference? In the past, many years ago, I borrowed a much used TD4 with a root rake, and it worked great. But the teeth were at least 12 inches long. Another option would be a ripper for the back. How would that work for roots? Thanks, cb1

  5. #5Komatsu 1502008-08-05 08:13

    We had a crawler loader with ripper that would take 5 teeth. They're too far apart to catch the small stuff. Worst part is the big tangle that you have to climb over backwards. Can't raise high enough to go forward and get clear of the mess.

  6. #6honest outlaw2008-08-22 21:39

    a scarifier behind a farm tractor cleans up a lot better and faster than wearing out tracks and drinking up cheap fuel :usa:Banghead

  7. #7cb12008-08-22 21:52

    is a scarifier the same thing as a quacker?

  8. #8TNHillbilly2008-10-16 10:56

    I can see where a rig like that could be as handy as pockets on a shirt! I am thinking about making a jib boom to fit my jd 555a highlift bucket to set steel for a shop I am building.