Has anyone set up a manually controlled laser level on a blade or bucket to get a level grade? I was reading where it was used on a pull type box blade for levelling fields and thought it might be a lot less expensive than a full automatic system. The green laser is apparently easier to see in daylight but was just wondering if anyone has done this and what laser set up they used.
I once mounted a standard hand held receiver on the blade of an open cab dozer to rough in some feedlot pens. Was using a dual grade laser cutting slope on both axis and, once I developed some rhythm, it worked better than I expected. Had no trouble seeing the screen and could even hear the beeping above all the racket. Part of the success was being able to see the indicator, blade and where I was headed all at once. I later tried an indicator on a Gannon type box blade but found it harder to come to grips with because of the need to look away to steer etc.
25 years ago a local excavator had one on a dozer. As I recall it was rigged as three different sounds on headphones the operator wore. It could be set at any plane, so grading along a slope worked OK but the transmitter had to be moved often.
I just use a simple magnetic mount receiver that has noise and lights to tell you if you are high or low. Are usually just stick it to the arm of the excavator, I have made a mount to go on to a dozer blade, a pice of 5’ long 2” square tubing with a mounting plate, find grade, place sensor on and go. Way better than guessing or having a guy chase you around checking grade. Not as good as a full machine control system but it works good enough to get you close.
What setup is this? How much did it cost?
If you search around some the old Laser Plane systems are out there for sale. Trouble is that they are not supported. I have a couple around at home, one of the earlier ones would be perfect for that operation. Everybody dragging buckets around here used to know about Prince Albert receivers. They were hollow and would slide down on something like a 1.5-2” pipe and could simply clamp them on. Very robust made for machine control. They were corded and had to have a control box to indicate, but you could take the system off each day very quickly if needed.
I have a couple that we use on dozer blades similar to Tags set up. It takes a few mins to get set up but in my opinion it's well worth it.
I have a receiver I mount on the side of my elevating scraper. It has about a 8" vertical receiving range. Day and night modes. The lights are bright enough to be seen in bright sunlight. 4 D batteries will last a couple of days. It gives you the advantage of a grade stick right there on the side of the machine. The same receiver will also drive a bang bang valve when used with a cab display.
What brands of rotary lasers and receivers are you using and where do you buy them? I see Home Depot has them but I think a survey supply place or similar would have a lot more product knowledge. I need something with at least 500' range.
Google CR5 laser reciever. I'm very happy with mine.
This is what I have, it works real well for me. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectra...-kfYasijI32UYeMY-YMaAvVAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
A couple years ago I bought an elevating tripod. It has proved to be quite a time saver when setting up the laser.
I will only use Spectra-Precision. Tried Topcon and AGL, was not satisfied with the performance. Currently running GL722, probably more than what you need, but they make them smaller. Edit: This is a pretty good deal I think. Maybe you think you won't need slope capability. But, it's better to have and not need, than need and not have. https://www.contractors-tools.com/s...4576648431543532&utm_content=BR - All Spectra
I got one of those after using one of the agatec MR240's... I still prefer the MR240.. as it has more range and pretty decent coverage, I usually run it on a 2 inch square tube in a receiver I put on the blades for the excavators we use... also have used it on the stick for graded trench work... very handy when you're working solo In a pinch (when I forget something)I have also just taped out regular 'rod eyes' to the 2 inch tube I put on the blades - not much range of movement but a lot handier than getting off the machine to check grade all the time I bought the agatec when they were still sold under agatec's name and were around 300 bux... since the big guys bought the rights(still made by agatec in france) they doubled the price
I'll have to talk to the Spectra-Precision dealer. I like the CR600 receiver with the magnetic mount and can also use it with a grade rod. Could mount it on multiple machines and implements. Just need to figure out what laser level would be best. Being in Canada sure doesn't help with the price. The kit in Shimmy1's link is close to $3800 CAD! Nice to know what's rugged and what to stay away from. Looked at some Bosch but reading reviews warranty might be suspect if it quits.
As a backup I also bought one of those 200 dollar import lasers with dual slope a remote...etc... only thing I don't like compared to the regular CST berger/lasermark units we use is the rechargeable batteries... if you're on a job and they go dead you can't just open it up and pop in more...
have used a top con becton on top of blade for 4 5 and 600 foot chicken house pads worked real good carryed my own grade.allso worked on trackhoe for gas tank holes just have to have boom in same place to check grade. but was good enought to keep man out of hole.
For you folks running the receiver on the hoe, what do you do to make sure the bucket is in the same place each time?
I hear a lot of guys say they put the bucket flat on the bottom.... this routine didn't work for me as flat with a big bucket can vary a couple inches at the stick! and I just found it easier to get the bucket at max length(front edge straight up n down) which also give way less error if you don't have it perfectly straight and it saves time cause I'm usually finishing the bottom of the trench like a grader shaving
I have mine on the bucket. HeavyEquipmentForums
I think I just need something fairly basic but want something that will hold up. I don't want to buy a cheap import and have it self destruct the 2nd time I use it. This kit works out to about $1900 Cad. Would be so much easier just looking at the receiver on the machine than having to run around with a grade rod. I never realised you could get machine mount receivers and use manual control for grade when I was looking for a way to level a 1/4 mile flat track that's 65' wide. Too much walking checking for level. https://www.contractors-tools.com/s...r-complete-package-w-cr600-inches-rod-tripod/
I’ve always thought that this receiver would be cool. The receiver mounts on the blade magnetically and connects wirelessly to a remote display in the cab. Would help with the issue I had using the Gannon blade. https://d3r4tb575cotg3.cloudfront.net/static/7010-0789_topconls-b10_and_rd_10w_web_reduced.pdf
I have a Spectra laser and the magnetic machine mounted sensor for more than ten years. I would suggest getting the laser with the potential to set a single slope, that's what I have and it has been great.
Spectra has receivers that can have a remote in cab display too but it looks like they cost quite a bit more. It would make it easier to see what's going on though. I'll have to check out the different options. Would be nice if I could find a good used set up.
Dave, that receiver is very easy to see and hear from the seat of the machine, when we used it on a dozer it had an enclosed cab and it was the middle of winter, we had the cab closed and just used the lights to keep it close.
I'd like to mount it on a box blade behind a tractor. I was thinking of making gauge wheels for the box blade for better control. I wonder if a back up camera would be a cheap way of not having to constantly look backwards? https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071D9TWSG...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I would think there would be a learning curve to it, but it beeps fast when it’s too high and slow when it’s too low, once you got used to that I would imagine you’d be able to react to the beeps alone. Gauge wheels and a back up camera probably wouldn’t hurt though, a friend of mine has a wireless camera unit that works quite well and it wasn’t very expensive.
Or just add a big mirror like most of the skip loaders have for the gannon box use
This looks like it would work well for you.... http://www.directsurveystore.com/pr...LR30W-%2b-RD20-Machine-Control-Laser-Receiver
I looked at that. Will have to see what it costs up here.
The next RB auction has a laser controlled skid steer blade. Would it be worth considering and what would be a decent price to pay? I don't know if it's a good idea to buy these things used. It would probably go for more than I want to spend but you never know. https://www.rbauction.com/laser-gra...Id=11880380&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2020102
I'm thinking about calling about this used single grade laser. It's high end model. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-busin...ser-for-sale-over-65-off/1487981201?undefined
Looks like a good deal. I have a GL 412. Single slope, has been a great unit, probably had it for more than 10 years or so...
GL 412 is about $2500 but the GL 710 is a lot more. Seller sounds legit and paid $5200 and had it calibrated too. A little more than I wanted to spend but might be too good to pass up.
I think I'll call about it.
I called the place I went to that sells them and he figures it was stolen. He said to get the date when it was made or the serial and can see how old it is. He said the diodes wear out after 10 years or so but can go longer depending. The seller had it calibrated at the same place but a different location so I don't think it's stolen. He responded back with a serial number so I can check it out tomorrow.
Sounds like a legit seller. I'd check that out.
Back when I used to work the dirt, I used an Apache Bullseye receiver with a Spectra multiplane laser. The Apache unit acted as a plumb bob for true vertical (with indicator lights) so I would put the bucket to full dump at the end of the cylinder stroke with the stick at vertical or near vertical for the grade measurement. I would be able to slide the receiver up and down the magnetic lock assembly for true grade at the green light when the teeth were just touching the ground at grade and plumb. Fast, easy repetitive accuracy that made digging much faster. The Apache units were also able to link into valve control options in the future if I wanted to go that way.
Have Precision LL300 and no doubt that it's the best choice in this price category
I have a Stabila LAR 350 im using to keep our centre line on this marine intake pipe trench we are doing off the barge. I have it turned on its side plumbed over a hub on the beach and a back sight . We are about 600' offshore from it at the end of the trench and its working fine. we are getting about 30 hrs out of the batteries. If i leave the reciever sitting on the mats in front of the crane it picks up the beam every time the bare moves on line. Id give it good marks. The only thing id see about running it on a blade is i cant seem to get a lot of volume on the reciever. Some kind of remote in the cab would solve that. It was just over 2200.00 .
That is where the Apache receiver works well with bright LED lights. You can also dim them for night work so that you don't get blinded. No need for audio feedback, even in bright daylight. I had not used my laser in a couple of years but I had to install a new septic system at my mother's house this past week and I also used it to touch up some gravel pad for her new place a month or so ago. Very glad that I still have it. Photo below is receiver magnetically clamped to grade bucket for final passes. You can barely see the unit clamped to the arm above the bucket linkage in this photo where I was working the field lines. The bucket is stalled to full dump position, stick is near vertical and when the lights are solid, the receiver is plumb for consistent accuracy. The Roto-tilt sure made refilling of the ditches faster and easier.
Yeah the visual receivers are a necessity in my opinion. I've had a spectra cr600 for a long time. Has a magnet base that can be slapped on to the excavator boom.