Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rotating load in mid-air?

CuriousElectron · 2020-04-24 17:56

Greetings Everyone, I have a question - are crane trucks typically equipped with means to rotate the load in mid air after lifting it up but before setting it? I have a job where the crane would be picking up a heavy 40ft trailer but needs to rotate it 90 degree in air before setting on truck. This is done because the space is tight around and need to prevent obstructing surrounding structures. Please advise. We're thinking about using crane truck with a trailer. Thanks, EE

Replies8
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-04-24 18:39

    I thought most cranes had swivel hooks?

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-04-24 19:29

    Welcome to HEF, CE ! Why do you call them crane trucks ? In my part of the world they are called truck cranes.

  3. #3mitch5042020-04-24 21:23

    Just rotating 90 degrees, you would normally just use tag lines and pull it around, unless you need to turn it very high in the air

  4. #4Natman2020-04-24 21:55

    With my 30 ton boom truck, and it's swivel hook, I tell people who get excited about which way the load needs to be set down,before i even pick it up, "relax, you can spin it anyway you want, just let me get it in the air and away from my cab window first."

  5. #5Impact2020-04-25 12:46

    We installed “Rotate” buttons on all our cranes

  6. #6mitch5042020-04-25 19:54

    You got "Jump" buttons, too?

  7. #7dirty4fun2020-04-25 20:00

    I was installing concrete well curb with my excavator. I would cross the chain, and it would turn a half a circle. The fellow I was installing them for was totally amazed. Once he saw how easy that was he wanted me to turn each ring a couple times till he found where they fit together best.

  8. #8Natman2020-04-27 22:35

    Just a couple hours ago, I picked a 5' length of 3/8" wall 8" square tube (about 180+ pounds) with my mini excavator for a project I'm doing at home, prior to lowering it into a 30" deep post hole (wanting to not cave in the hole sides/scarf off fluff). Not until I had it up did I realize that the chain rigging to the X's bucket, meant "no swivel," and it wasn't oriented properly. I had to set it down and re-rig, as it was 90 degrees off how I wanted to set it. The last few degrees of placement I was able to get by rotating the mini's house, while offsetting the boom, a pretty handy feature, while perfectly lowering the tube into the tight hole. The mini X is only used at home, on my 40 acres of ranch land, and it is a lot of fun, though you'd think I'd get sick of listening to a diesel engine while playing with hydraulics, it's not so!