Hello all, this is the first test for all the work I did on the IH 3400A. I have a 3' bucket and while I didn't like it.... I love the large bucket now cuz I needed it. My current and first job is to did a hole for a round swimming pool. The hole needs to be 33' in diameter (the pool is 27') I started digging but I'm not sure how to do all of this pool prep stuff. I positioned the backhoe at the center of the pool so I could get the correct radius but, that is only going to work for less than half the digging. the hole is going to be 3 feet deep. My question is, what is the best method for positioning the machine for digging a round hole. If anyone has done the whole process I'd be very appreciative as to the correct method. we will have to back fill with dirt or sand around the diameter of the pool after the vendor installs the pool. I will do some research but was hoping to get some help from knowledgeable people on this forum. Thanks for any input.
you need to mark out the circle with a paint spray or a cement line.Positioning the backhoe in the centre will not help you in digging a radius.You have to know where the access for other vehicles after you have finished digging the hole, so as not to block them with the dirt in the wrong place
We did mark out the circle with paint and I can get almost 1/2 of the pool with that. I was wondering about the best way to get the Other half. LOL The pool is for a friend and... of course... I am ending up moving the dirt with the loader. I would love to have a truck or trailer that I could load into. I am thinking of leaving a ramp that will allow me to get into the hole and tidy up the edges. I can't think of a better way that will not require constant moving around the pool to get the proper size and depth. I'm a rookie but I'm better than a shovel and a wheelbarrow. LOL Thanks for the reply.
when you have to dig out some ground, no matter for what reason you start at the furthest point and work your way out.You need someone on the ground to clear up as you move the excess dirt,someone who can check the depth of your dig etc etc.Why not look on YouTube for others doing similar work or ask an experienced local guy ?
you need to find the center and get it to grade, then pound a pin in the center that you can hook a tape or measured piece of string to. This will get your diameter, then move where ever you need to get the material out. Word of advise, get the hardest dirt out first and the easy dirt last, have a plan, don't just dig.
Thanks for the help guys. It worked out great and I learned a lot, but realize I don't know very much. At least I can operate the controls more efficiently and this was a good test for my machine. Ground water kept flowing into the hole and I had very little help from my friend. We could have done this pretty quick but..... some people don't want to spend money on anything. The company wanted $3K to dig the hole for the pool. I didn't even get my fuel tank topped off for the effort. I'm not complaining... well... I guess I am.
You need new friends...
He's good People. It was kinda funny as we are good friends just haven't known him but a year or so. I get to call him a cheap Bastage at a later date so I'm good. Ha ha.
having a backhoe is like wining the lottory it's funny how many friends you have tb
Yeah it is, Especially when you have friends like me and I have bodies to hide.
Oddly enough, After watching CSI I wondered how many bodies might be buried at construction sites or under them. Yikes !!! "No Honey. I haven't seen the dog in a few days. Somebody musta picked him up. I'm gonna miss the lil guy."
I know this is 'after the fact' but why would the hole need to be round just because the pool is? If you are filling in around the pool afterwards, why not just dig a square hole?
I do a lot of these. Mark the circle dig 3/4 around from the farthest point. Reach in toward the center as you go as far as possible and get that material while your set up. The last 1/4 take out from the center and make a ramp as you exit the perimeter. A good ground man helps to keep you on grade as well. Everybody does things differently but as long as time and end result are the same it really doesn't matter.
I probably would enjoy watching people set up for various jobs and see how they work the machine. That would be interesting. I started from the center and dug inward. Then I got on the outside of the hole and dug outward for the last sections. It was too sloppy to get into the hole with the machine. I did pretty good digging to the correct grade. I'm a rookie and it was free so.... he gets what he gets. Ha ha.
Yeah measurements counts in this process because without the accurate measurements you cannot dig a prefect hole. I think a single person can't do this because a swimming pool need big space for construction. Anyhow I like the Dickjr process.
Any reviews?
please reply..